If you want to learn all of the ways to make a no-sew gnome you’ve come to the right place. Below, I am sharing the most popular ways to make easy gnomes without sewing a stitch!
How Do I Make a No-Sew Gnome?
This is one the most often asked questions I get, having come to be known as the gnome lady. If you’re new to Ruffles and Rain Boots, hi there. My name is Sarah and I love, love, love making all kinds of DIY gnomes – sock gnomes, gnomes made from cones, gnome patterns, gnome decor – well, you get it. I love to make them.
Some of my most popular gnome styles require no sewing at all. You can even use patterns designed specifically for hot glue like my no-sew tucked gnome pattern here. But before we get there…
Please Save or Share This Resource
This is a pretty extensive look at all of the ways to make your own gnomes without a sewing machine. Be sure to share this page to Facebook or save it to your gnome board on Pinterest.
What are the different Ways to Make a Gnome Without Sewing?
You might have heard of sock gnomes already… This gnome style became very popular over the holiday season because it doesn’t require any sewing and a crafter can use socks for both the body AND the hat. Talk about easy, right?!
Get Secret Gnomes, Tips, & Freebies Delivered!
What is the best pattern to use when you don't want to sew? Do you know the secrets to a properly-proportioned gnome? Do you know where to get the best-priced fur?
Get all of this (and exclusive content just for you) delivered right to your inbox with the gnome-making series, free of charge. Sign up to get the once-weekly newsletter (and a jaw-dropping special offer)!
If you use gMail or Yahoo, please check the spam or "promotional" folders. Whitelist my email address or reply to the email to ensure delivery of all files. Happy Holidays! - Sarah
But there are quite a few more ways to make gnomes without sewing. I’ll go into each of the ways below and will share tutorials I have here on the ‘Boots. Just pick one and get started.
Sock Gnome Tutorials – Very easy no-Sew Gnomes
When most crafters think of no-sew gnome styles and patterns, the easy sock gnome comes to mind. These are so versatile because, as I said above, the mix-and-match opportunities are endless and anyone can create a beautiful gnome in just minutes.
I have created many different styles of sock gnomes and a few types are below. I’ve also included a handy one-click link for all of my sock gnome tutorials I have.
- slouchy hat sock gnome – This popular style features a fabric gnome hat pattern that can be sized to any size sock gnome you make.
- farmhouse gnome couple – Combine sock gnomes with boots for easy standing gnomes!
- twisted hat sock gnomes – These gnomes are made with two different sock styles and are nothing short of amazing fun to make and display.
- mini glove finger gnomes – I know this isn’t a traditional “sock gnome,” but the same technique was used to make these three different glove gnomes.
- Easy Sock Gnome Tutorials – These are all the gnomes made with socks on Ruffles and Rain Boots. Psst: there are quite a few!
No-Sew Cone Gnome Tutorials
You can use paper maché or Styrofoam cones for these no-sew gnomes. I prefer the paper maché cones because you can make a stacking set and because they are lighter and easier to pack away.
A few tutorials I have for you with these cone gnomes are:
- Cone Gnome Family – These use two different sizes of paper maché cones but three would be fun, as well. In this tutorial, I even show you how to make the gnomes stackable for storage.
- Mini Cone Gnomes – One of the best parts of these gnomes is that they are perfect for small areas and displays. These cuties are perfect for a tiered tray or a coffee bar.
- Simple and Easy Gnomes with Cones – If you are just getting started, this style of cone gnome is a great introduction (includes paper maché and Styrofoam cones)
Sachet Gnomes – Pouch Body Gnomes
If you can cut a circle, you can make a fun sachet gnome filled with whatever you want to brighten your day or your delicates drawer. ;)
- Mini Scandinavian Gnome – Years and years ago, this little gnome started it all for me. I used a scrap of fabric to make him (and then 1,402 of his closest friends).
- Lavender Sachet Gnome – A friend of mine saw my mini gnomes and she and her daughter created this successful Etsy business with a little tweak.
Styrofoam Cone Gnomes (body or hats)
If you want to make standing gnomes, Styrofoam cone gnomes are going to be the perfect place to start. You won’t need many supplies outside of your normal gnome-making craft supplies, so they are an easy addition to any collection.
A few DIY gnome tutorials I have with Styrofoam cones are:
- Spring gnome with rain boots – Using premade rain boots, this cutie combines a Styrofoam body and amazing embellishments.
- Cone Gnome with Booty – Okay, so you just have to see him. :) I combined a cone and a Styrofoam ball to shape this guy.
- Simple and Easy Gnomes with Cones – From tiny gnomes to large, standing gnomes, this link will take you to all paper maché and Styrofoam cone gnomes on Ruffles and Rain Boots.
Wood Gnomes and Patterns
Who said fabric, cones, and socks could have all the fun? Below are no-sew wood gnome tutorials and patterns I’ve shared here on Ruffles and Rain Boots.
- wood slice Christmas gnome ornaments – My little ornaments became quite popular (probably because they are ridiculously adorable and easy)!
- gnome porch sign from fence wood – This is one of my favorite projects of all time.
- All Wood Gnome Tutorials – Stackable, nesting gnomes, gnomes with eyebrows, and fun decor projects are all included in this section of no-sew gnome tutorials.
No-Sew Gnome Patterns
I mentioned above that I created a no-sew pattern for gnomes that includes everything you will need to make a fun and easy gnome. All of these use the same no-sew pattern. It’s so versatile!
- No-Sew Tucked Gnomes – The hats on these gnomes are 100% adorable and I’m asked about them all the time!
- Rustic Forest Gnome – Speaking of hats, I can guarantee you’ve never seen a tree bark hat like this.
- Sitting Gnome with HUGE Feet – You can choose to leave off the clay feet, but why would you want to?!
More Gnomes That Don’t Require a Sewing
If you’re all the way down here on this page, let me tell you… You might be just as obsessed with gnomes as I am. Repeat after me using your name, “I, Sarah, am obsessed with gnomes.” And it sure is nice to have you here. :)
- Pumpkin Gnome – This guy uses a premade pumpkin and well, he’s downright adorable.
- Wine Bottle Gnome Topper – Need a great hostess gift? Whether it is the holiday season or not, gnome bottle covers are easy to make!
- Gnome from Pool Noodles – Oh, yes. You can make a pool noodle gnome (replace the hat with a no-sew version).
- Cork Gnomes – Because you might have one, two, or twenty lying around your craft room, here are plain cork gnome ornaments and a Grinch gnome ornament made with corks.
- Gnome Clay Pot Statue for the Garden – He’s too cute not to put here.
Stay in Touch
You might wonder if I am still sharing gnome tutorials and the answer is a big, loud, “YES!” I love to challenge myself to come up with new gnome styles and would love to keep you informed.
One way you can stay on top of all things gnomes, is to sign up for the weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter here. I’ll share everything new with you, from patterns and styles to creative tips and coupons!
Another way I love to share gnome tutorials is on my YouTube channel. Click here to subscribe and stay in touch with me. It’s so amazing to find people who love the same things.
Please Save or Share This
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Please take a moment to share or save this to a DIY pin board or share it with a crafty group on Facebook..