I couldn’t wait to figure out how to make a rustic gnome and this DIY forest gnome tutorial is just too cute. He has so much unique charm and he is a no-sew gnome!
How to Make a Rustic Gnome
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, I have so many ideas for DIY gnomes. I reprioritized this sketch for months and fortunately, I got some time today to make this adorable rustic gnome tutorial. And wow, what an adorable tomte! The feet, the little sticks, the moss between his toes – they all compliment that amazing tree bark hat nicely.
Speaking of that hat… I am so in love with this crazy hat! I’m going to definitely think about making a second one in girl-gnome style because, frankly, that hat was a good time. If you are ready to tackle making your own forest tomte, grab a hot glue gun and let’s get started.
Get Secret Gnomes, Tips, & Freebies Delivered!
What is the best pattern to use when you don’t want to sew? Do you know the secrets to a properly-proportioned gnome? Do you know where to get the best-priced fur?
Get all of this (and exclusive content just for you) delivered right to your inbox with the gnome-making series, free of charge. Sign up to get the once-weekly newsletter (and a jaw-dropping special offer)!
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite DIY crafts board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make a DIY Forest Gnome
- Click here to get the easy no-sew gnome pattern. It’s got everything you need to make your gnome as cute as a button!
- It’s a lot easier than it looks to make the adorable little gnome feet, so don’t feel overwhelmed. Just make a thick rectangle of clay, then cut 4 slots (making 5 toes) about 1/4 of the way from one end to the other. Round those little toes over and use an Exacto knife to make toenails. Then bake and attach the to gnome. Psst: don’t worry, I have a video below.
- I made this entire gnome a no-sew pattern by using hot glue to make all my hems, but you could absolutely use a sewing machine. Whether you sew or glue, the hat is largely dependent on hot glue.
- If you’ve never cut faux fur before, I have this short video of how to cut faux fur the right way. While you’re there watching it, be sure to subscribe to my channel so you get to see all the latest and greatest gnome tutorials!
Get the Gnome Pattern Here
Click below to add this fun pattern to your cart. So many gnomes can be made with this!
How Do I Make this Forest Gnome?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial. If you’d like to follow along with live instruction, click here for our forest gnome video tutorial on YouTube.
More Easy Gnome ideas You Might Like
- 15-Minute Cone Gnomes – You can seriously turn a cardboard cone into an adorable gnome in just a few minutes–and then make a whole family!
- Farmhouse Gnome Ornament – Seriously one of the best ornaments I’ve made in my entire life because it’s so fast, fun and beautiful.
- Christmas Countdown Gnome – If you’ve got a love for Christmas gnomes, you’re going to love the gnome with countdown blocks!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite easy DIY ideas board on Pinterest.