This patriotic book stack idea is the perfect dollar store craft! Show your Independence Day pride and add this homemade decor to your mantle or shelf.
I’ll show you a couple of different Dollar Tree supplies to make this different sizes to fit bookcases, tiered trays, or console displays. This is a fun 4th of July farmhouse decoration and you do NOT need a cutting machine (like a Cricut).
RELATED READING: Make a 4th of July Gnome Shelf Sitter Decoration (with Scraps)
What You'll Find On This Page
Farmhouse Patriotic Book Stack
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, I lean towards easy decorating and re-decorating during the summer months. It’s beautiful here and I want to be outside by the pool, not shifting boxes of decorations around in my attic.
When I get the gusto to make something during this time, it needs to be quick and this summer craft definitely fits that description. Head to the Dollar Tree and gather up all of the supplies for this 4th of July book stack. For less than a package of fireworks, you can make this fun rustic DIY to use each year.
RELATED READING: How to Make DIY Ribbon Wands Look Like the US Flag
Need to come back to this? Save this to a summer crafts pin board or share it on Facebook. This easy DIY will be ready and waiting for you to come back and begin.
As an Amazon Associate, I could earn from qualifying purchases. There could be affiliate links within this article.
Year-Round Book Stack Ideas for Decor
Since these easy pieces became popular years ago, I’ve shared a ton of inspiration for you to create your own. If you’re at the store and have your paints out, you could make up a few of them for an afternoon crafting session and have them for the entire year.
- Valentine Book Stack Inspiration – This one uses the same stamps!
- St Patrick’s Day Book Stack – Those Dollar Tree clovers never looked so good.
- Bee Book Stack – Make this one to and use it all the way from early to spring to late summer.
- Fall Book Stack – Those leaves are so inviting, aren’t they?
- Gnome Holiday Book Stack Idea – Use a cutting machine to create this crisp, gnome-inspired stack.
Where to Display a Fourth of July Book Stack
- The size and shape make it perfect to fit on a mantle, shelf, or coffee table. It looks great from both sides when it’s painted, so you don’t have to put it up against a wall.
- If you’re entertaining for Independence Day, add this as as small decoration to a dessert table.
- Entertaining outside? Pop this onto the self-serve table along with some mason jars filled with flatware and napkins. This is small enough to still have room for all the food and condiments.
RELATED READING: How to Make a Rustic Wood Round Tiered Tray
Supplies to Make a Book Stack
I used the items below to create this patriotic craft, but use what you have in your stash.
- Three Hard Cover Books (dollar store or thrift store)
- Natural Jute Twine
- Twine or String in Red, White, and Blue
- Craft Paint in White, Red, Blue, and Light Gray
- Alphabet Stamps and Ink Pad (you can write them on)
- Paintbrush and Scissors
How to Make a Dollar Tree 4th of July Stack of Books
If you have any questions, use the comments below or join me in the Facebook group here. It’s a great bunch of crafters who are kind and helpful (and we’d really love to see your creations)!
This book stack is a little larger than those made for a tiered tray set or display from a wood crate (those from the Dollar Tree). If you’d like to use those for this craft, sand them first and then paint, stamp, and decorate it the same way.
Below is the written tutorial for this “less than 30 minute craft.” For a printable version, scroll to the end of this tutorial.
First, remove the book covers and paint the books with a mixture of ivory and white paint. The paint should be rough so that the dark underneath shows through.
Next, add brush strokes of light gray paint to ‘age’ the books.
Paint the edges of two of the books, selecting red for one and blue for another.
Once dry, stamp the books with your message for Independence Day. I chose “Stars and Stripes Forever” in a mix of upper and lowercase letters.
Finally, use the jute or string to wrap around the stack and create a bow. This is an easy and quick accent but use ribbon, fabric strips, or other items to match your decor.
More Patriotic Themed Crafts for the 4th of July
- DIY Ribbon Wands for Independence Day – I tell you, the kids (up to about 9 years old) all loved these and they make a great display on any table.
- The Best July 4th Gnome Patterns and Tutorials – You know that you need your very own DIY 4th of July gnome and they’re so easy to make.
- This Easy July 4th Wreath is a Fun Independence Day Craft – This would be perfect hanging on the back deck and it’s fun for all ages.
- 4th of July Popcorn Balls – Everyone just gobbles these up when I put them out. They look amazing on a dessert table and they are so easy to make.
Please Save or Share This 4th of July Craft Idea
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Please save this Independence Day book stack to a July 4th pin board or share it with a crafty group on Facebook. Thank you so much.