Make these easy DIY ribbon wands for the 4th of July. They are the easiest Independence Day craft for the home and the kids will have so much fun making them look like the American flag.
This ribbon flag craft can double as a walkway or driveway decoration, making it pull double-duty. And if you’re celebrating, ribbon wands are a great alternative to throwing confetti. All of that makes this a win for a 15 minute summer craft idea!
RELATED READING: July 4th Book Stack DIY – This Dollar Tree Craft is Adorable
Ribbon Flag Wands
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we love a BBQ on July 4th (and the July 4th desserts, of course). And all of the kids in the family love to get in on the fun by making crafts with me to decorate and celebrate.
This year, the little ones learned how to make ribbon wands that look like the American flag. They were easy and the kids really got into them! DIY ribbon wands are great to jazz up a party table, line a walkway, or the driveway.
If you’re in the gathering ideas stage for your party, save this to your favorite 4th of July crafts pin board or share it to Facebook. Either way, it will be easy to find when you’re ready to begin.
RELATED READING: Marshmallow Launchers for Independence Day – SO FUN!
Tips to Make a Ribbon Wand for July 4th
- To ensure the ribbons don’t fray, you can use Fray Check or use a lighter to burn the ends slightly.
- Although I used 1/4-inch round wooden dowels, you can use any size. Don’t choose too thick of a dowel because the ribbon won’t stay on.
- If you’re worried about the wind (or vigorous usage by little hands), add a bit of glue to the base of each ribbon (on the dowel side under the knot) to secure them.
- Tie on one ribbon at a time and slide them close together (but not scrunched up).
- Balloon sticks from the dollar stores can be used for this easy craft idea, as well. Use thinner ribbon, however, because they don’t stand up to a lot of weight.
RELATED READING: Mickey and Minnie 4th of July Rock Painting Ideas
More July 4th Crafts and Treats You Might Like
- DIY Marshmallow Launchers – If the kids need something else fun to do (when do they not need something else fun to do) let’s get ’em launching!
- Paper Fireworks – Perfect for kids who get spooked by the loud noises of fireworks!
- Patriotic Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes – Absolutely awesome snack for the post-July 4th BBQ fireworks-watching experience.
- Easy (I Mean EASY) Candy Flag Cupcakes – These 4th of July cupcakes are so easy, the kids can make the flags all on their own.
- 4TH of July Treat Jar (Dollar Tree DIY) – These are TOO cute (and super simple) to share candy or use as a wand or sparklers holder.
Please Save or Share This Independence Day Craft Idea
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite 4th of July crafts pin board.
How to Make DIY Ribbon Flag Wands
Below is our written tutorial for these wands. And if you’re making a July 4th craft ideas playlist on YouTube, here is our ribbon flag wands video tutorial.