We made this easy mermaid popcorn and there were smiles all around. It’s colorful, quick, and the kids love to help whip up this tasty treat.
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, I love all creating a good candy popcorn recipe. Between making adorable mermaid costumes for dress-up or giving mermaid slime as gifts, we’re a little mermaid-obsessed. Heck, we even made an easy mermaid foot scrub, just for fun – it’s GORGEOUS by the way, and perfect for gift-giving.
When I needed to make a treat for The Little Mermaid family movie night, I made the best candy popcorn recipe ever – mermaid popcorn! Let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
Pin this to your favorite mermaid party ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make this Candy Popcorn Recipe
- Make sure to stir the mermaid popcorn a lot to coat everything. Some uncoated popcorn is expected, but make sure that each has a little colorful candy.
- You can use white chocolate and color it yourself instead of the candy melts. Because candy melts have less oil and are already colored, they’re easier to work with.
- Don’t make the popcorn too early or pour the chocolate on it when it’s too hot. Try to make sure everything is in the “warm” range so that the popcorn doesn’t shrink.
How Do I Make this Mermaid Popcorn?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial. If you’re making a mermaid party ideas playlist on YouTube, here is our mermaid popcorn video tutorial.
- 5 cups popcorn, popped and kernels removed
- 1 ½ cups blue candy melts
- 1 ½ tsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup green crystal sugar
- Green Skittles, for topping
- Purple gum balls or other candy, for topping
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and spread the popped corn onto the sheet.
- Place candy melts and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until melted.
- Pour melted candy over popcorn. Use a spoon to mix everything together until all popcorn kernels are colored.
- Sprinkle with crystal sugar - save some for final sprinkling.
- Let set for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls and top with Skittles and gum balls. Sprinkle additional crystal sugar, if desired.
For more amazing mermaid party ideas, visit RufflesandRainBoots.com
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 519Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 116gFiber: 1gSugar: 78gProtein: 1g
All nutrition information is estimated. Please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Mermaid Party Ideas You Might Like
- Mermaid Slime – If you need a party favor that an entire school of little mermaids will love, this mermaid slime will be the wave that knocks them all over!
- Easy No-Sew Mermaid Costume – These are so easy, you could do this as an activity at a party for preschoolers. How cool would that be?!
- Mermaid Foot Scrub – If you’re throwing a mermaid party for a little older crowd, you could make mermaid foot scrub together and let the mermaids customize their own!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite mermaid party ideas board on Pinterest.