I loved making mermaid muddy buddies with the kiddo! So simple and fast, they make the perfect mermaid party treats that everyone is going to scoop up fast!
Mermaid Muddy Buddies
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we have a bit of an obsession with mermaid parties and making tiny parties for my little one to keep her spirits up. Not that she really needs that, mind you, but it’s what we do. Right?! And mini-mermaid parties? I’m in.
And these mermaid muddy buddies? They make the perfect mermaid party treat and I can’t wait to make them again (because yes, we ate them all). If you’re ready to make a mermaid puppy chow you’ll never forget, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite mermaid party ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Mermaid Puppy Chow
- Remember not to microwave the chocolate for too long or it will burn. If it burns, it’s gone. Forever. But, if it gets just a bit over heated, you can always put in a dollop of vegetable oil and mix it in to make it a little more liquid. Then you can just put them in your mermaid puppy chow like planned.
- Get the kids involved in shaking and stirring the check to coat them in the chocolate. It’s so much fun for them, and they do a better job than me anyway. It’s a simple job, too, that even the littlest kiddo can totally tackle.
- Be ready for these treats to be snatched up fast. If these are for your mermaid party, you probably want to plan on dividing out portions for each person into individual bowls or baggies or there will be some people who don’t get any.
How Do I Make Mermaid Muddy Buddies?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 1/3 Cup of each candy melts: Purple, Blue, Turquoise, and Lime Green
- 1/2 Cup of powdered sugar (For Each Color)
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Powder Food coloring: Blue, Purple, Leaf Green, and Turquoise (1/8 tsp of Leaf Green and 1/8 tsp Blue)
- 8 Cups of Chex cereal
- Melt your candy melts per the directions on the packaging for all colors.
- Place 2 cups of cereal into a large bowl. Then pour the melted candy over the cereal. Fold chocolate and cereal together until all of the Chex cereal is coated.
- Place 1/2 cup of powdered sugar in a gallon zip-top bag with 1/8 teaspoon of the powdered food coloring for each color. Close the top of the baggie and shake until the color is even throughout.
- Pour the cereal into the gallon baggie with the colored powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake until all of the candy-coated cereal is covered.
- Pour the muddy buddies onto a wax-paper covered tray in a single, even layer, repeating with each color.
- Allow the puppy chow to set completely before combining the colors together and adding embellishments (colored sugar or sprinkles) if desired.
For more fun mermaid party treats, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Mermaid Party Ideas You Might Like
- Crab Sandwiches – This is a fun “main course” for anyone that wants a fun sandwich, but it’s particularly fun for a mermaid party appetizer!
- Mermaid Rice Krispies – Making rice krispies for a party is always a great idea, but decorating them with ocean waves and seashells made of chocolate? I’m in.
- Sea Shell Krispies – The kid loved making these fun sea shell krispies. Cute, fun and super chocolatey!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite mermaid party ideas board on Pinterest.