These easy mermaid rice krispies were a genius afternoon activity and they’d make the BEST treat for a mermaid party–and of course they taste AMAZING!
Mermaid Rice Krispies
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are finding that the kiddo is wanting to be more and more involved in the kitchen. Not that she’s ever NOT wanted to be a part of the cooking, but now she’s wanting to be in charge a lot more. So, when she asked me to help her make mermaid rice krispies, we came up with an idea that she could make almost on her own!
The resulting mermaid rice krispies treats are the most adorable little creation that we’re definitely enjoying. If you’re ready to make some fun mermaid party treats, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite kid-made treats board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Mermaid Krispies Treats
- Definitely plan on using my easy no-fail rice krispies treats. They’re the most basic and simple cereal treat, but I’ve also got a few tricks in there to make them super easy and fun.
- Take the time to measure out all of the ingredients. I get it–sometimes, with a “simple” recipe like this, it’s just so easy to guesstimate. But that is one of those mistakes you don’t want to make with rice krispies treats. Actually, it’s the only mistake you can really make. Go one way and they’ll be super gooey and floppy; go the other way and they’ll be too crunchy and dry. So, grab the recipe and use it.
- Miniature marshmallows are what you NEED to make your rice cereal treats the easiest they can be. I don’t even bother with the big jumbo marshmallows anymore. They’re basically useless unless you’re roasting them, because they’re too bulky to make treats with. In all seriousness, the mini-marshmallows will melt faster than the big ones and mini marshmallows are so much easier to stir.
- Before you decorate your treats, wait until they are completely cooled. Warm treats and icing, chocolate, all that–it makes a gooey mess you will not love. And the same goes for when it’s time to cut your treats into squares. Waiting until they completely cool, you’ll be able to cut your cereal treats nice and square–but if you rush it, you’ll have floppy, rounded blobs.
- To make fun decorations, use a cute seashell mold like this one so that you can save yourself a million years of headaches trying to make little shells…
How Do I Make Mermaid Rice Krispies?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 rice cereal treats, cut into rectangles
- 2-3 oz. purple fondant
- 2 oz. white fondant
- Edible silver glitter
- 1 cup blue candy melts
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp brown sugar
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside. Use a sea shell mold to create 12 fondant sea shells. To use the mold, press fondant down into the desired shape. Remove from mold and using a paring knife, trim where necessary.
- Roll your white fondant into 12 small spheres, about ¼ of an inch in size.
- Pour some edible glitter onto your wax paper and dip your paint brush into water. Dip your paint brush into your glitter and paint each of your white fondant spheres.
- Microwave your candy melts and coconut oil in 30-second intervals until completely melted.
- Dip the bottom of each rice cereal treat into your bowl of melted candy. You’ll want about 1/3 of the rice cereal treat to be coated.
- Place a fondant sea shell and a fondant pearl on each rice cereal treat.
- Sprinkle brown sugar at the bottom of each rice cereal treat and allow to set. Serve and enjoy!
For more fun rice krispies treats ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 163mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 0gSugar: 33gProtein: 2g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Easy Rice Krispies Treats You Might Like
- Firecracker Rice Krispies – I love these fun firecracker rice krispies–they have a pop and sparkle that your kids are going to go crazy for!
- Caramel Apple Krispies – If you’re making a fun fall treat, add a touch of caramel apple flavor in a much more manageable form that kids (and adults) are going to love.
- Grinch Rice Treats – Something around the holidays always calls for me to make things green with a big red heart…weird.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite easy dessert recipes board on Pinterest.