I love how simple, but how absolutely beautiful these pretty peppermint Christmas cupcakes turned out! And they’re so easy, you can literally have 12 cupcakes decorated in 10 mintues!
Red and White Christmas Cupcakes
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are all about the Christmas cupcakes this year. Seriously, I think I’m in the running for some kind of world’s record for the most cupcakes made for the holidays. And one of my very favorite easy cupcakes for Christmas is this simple candy cane cupcake. It’s a swirl, it’s red and white. It’s simple. It’s PERFECT.
No, really, when I say perfect, I mean it. Let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite holiday cupcakes board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make Peppermint Cupcakes
- If there’s any way possible to do it, I always start with my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe. It’s an easy no-fail recipe, so I don’t have to worry about messing it up. And, since this fun cupcake decorating idea calls for chocolate cupcakes, I just add 1/2 cup of melted chocolate chips or 1/2 cup of cocoa powder and you’re ready to go! Or you can start with a white cake mix. Whatever!
- This recipe calls for making your own buttercream frosting with heavy cream, powdered sugar, and peppermint extract (or vanilla extract if you want them to not be minty). The whole nine yards. But you can do the same with a can of frosting. Don’t feel like you’re stuck with the had part.
- Making these easy chocolate peppermint cupcakes is so simple. Just whip everything together in a large mixing bowl, fill the cupcake liners, bake, pop your icing in a piping bag and your holiday season treats are ready to go!
- To dress these up, you can add some crushed candy canes or peppermints. It would look so cute with these scattered over the top!
- If you were looking for red white and blue cupcakes for the 4th of July instead of peppermint Christmas cupcakes, check out these easy ice cream cone patriotic cupcakes.
How Do I Make these Red and White cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 chocolate cupcakes, cooled and ready for decorating
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3-5 tbsp milk
- Red gel food coloring
- 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- Start with your favorite cupcake recipe and make 12. If your favorite cupcakes are vanilla, add 1/2 cup melted chocolate chips or 1/2 cup cocoa powder to make them chocolate!
- Cream together your butter, sugar, peppermint extract and milk until smooth.
- Separate frosting into two bowls.
- Add 1/4 tsp of red gel food coloring to one bowl of frosting and stir until well combined.
- Prop your decorating bag open by tucking it inside a glass or cup.
- Place an ample amount of white buttercream onto one side of the decorating bag and red buttercream onto the other side.
- Frost each cupcake in a swirl.
For more fun Christmas cupcake ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 24gProtein: 2g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Holiday Cupcake Recipes You Might Like
- Hot Chocolate Cupcakes – Who doesn’t love a good cupcake topped with marshmallows?!
- Christmas Tree Cupcakes – If you want to let the kids help make some awesome Christmas cupcakes, these are sure to please.
- Snowman Cupcakes – These are the most adorable cupcakes I think I’ve made in a long time. That pink scarf!
- Gingerbread Cupcakes – Iconic holiday cookie meets tasty soft cupcake. And they have a baby and live happily ever after in my tummy. LOL!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest.