This lazy girl’s easy vanilla cupcake recipe is one you need to have in your recipe box. It’s the basic cupcake recipe to build on, so let’s get started.
A Lazy Girl’s Easy Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, I like easy. Super-duper easy is best, but I’ll take just plain ‘ol easy any day of the week. After scrolling Pinterest for party ideas, however, I can feel my blood pressure rising and my mom-guilt right along with it.
It seems that there just has to be 3,520,771 ways to make a cupcake when really, all a girl needs sometimes is a simple, easy vanilla cupcake recipe for kids. So yeah, this is that recipe.
What You Need to Know: Basic Vanilla Cupcakes
You don’t need a lot of supplies, ingredients, or culinary experience for a basic vanilla cupcake recipe. A few things, however, are important to know.
Cake Flour – If you want a high-rise cupcake, use cake flour. If you don’t have any on hand, however, you can make your own cake flour with a little cornstarch. Or…
Love cupcakes and want free recipes?
If you use gMail or Yahoo, please check the spam or "promotional" folders. Whitelist my email address or reply to the email to ensure delivery of all files. Happy Holidays! - Sarah
All-Purpose Flour – If you’re too lazy like me to actually go and get cake flour, use all-purpose flour. To get the high-rise look, fill each cupcake liner with 1/4 cup of batter.
Ugly Cupcakes – You can fix any cupcake’s unbalanced top or sunken centers with buttercream. Buttercream is your friend.
Browned Edges or Tops – See remedy above (buttercream, baby) unless you’ve burned them. Toss them if they are burned, dry, or hard. Oven temperatures vary, so turn yours down or buy an oven thermometer.
Frosting – Get yourself a great buttercream recipe (it needs to be stiff) and learn how to frost in your favorite style. Not all buttercream frostings are created equally.
Have you ever been to a party and the cupcakes looked like they slid off the front seat while in transit even though they didn’t? Soft buttercream isn’t the best for cupcakes because the top needs to hold its shape. I promise it will still taste amazing!
For a wow-worthy effect, start watching this cupcake decorating video at 4:30 – it shows you how to pipe really impressive swirls. If you have a lot of cupcakes to make, need to pack them up in boxes, or want to extend your buttercream the farthest it can go, watch this basic cupcake frosting techniques video.
See More Cupcake Ideas
We’ve shared many easy cupcake recipes here on Ruffles and Rain Boots. Here are a few of our favorites :
- There are so many cute Valentine’s Day cupcake recipes here.
- Fun spider web cupcakes are sure to please!
- Swirled batter and fun additions make these summer fun flamingo cupcakes a hit.
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together eggs and granulated sugar. Once combined, add softened butter and vanilla. Mix until creamy.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternating with the milk, add dry ingredients to egg and sugar mixture in three equal increments. Mix well, but only until incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Scoop cupcake batter into the lined muffin pan, filling each cavity about 2/3rds of the way. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked through the center.
- Remove your tasty, easy vanilla cupcakes from the oven and let sit for about 2 minutes. Remove each cake from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- NOTE: if making mini cupcakes, please reduce the baking time to 12-15 minutes.
- This recipe can be doubled.
- If you are baking miniature cupcakes, please reduce the baking time to between 12 (check) and 15 minutes.
- Use a regular oven, not convection.
- Do not over-mix; your cake can become dense.
- Use white, granulated sugar (fine grain) to ensure the best incorporation. If substituting alternative sugars, the mixture might become grainy.
More Dessert Recipes >>>> RufflesAndRainBoots.com <<<<
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
Please Save This to Pinterest or Share on Facebook
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Please share this on Facebook or save it to your favorite party or cupcakes Pinterest board.