I just love making cupcakes and this lazy girl chocolate cupcake recipe makes for the best no-fail chocolate cupcake you can use for any recipe!
Lazy Girl Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we have a thing for making cupcakes. Like, really, if there’s any type of get-together I get invited to, there’s going to be a batch of cupcakes in my oven. Every. Single. Time. So, of course I have a base-recipe I use for homemade chocolate cupcakes. And good news for you, I’m willing to share.
This is seriously the easiest chocolate cupcake recipe you’ll find and nothing goes better with cupcake than “easy.” Let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite easy desserts board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Homemade Chocolate cupcakes
You don’t need a lot of supplies, ingredients, or culinary experience for this homemade chocolate cupcake recipe. A few things, however, are important to know.
What Flour Is Best for Cupcakes?
- Cake Flour – If you want a high-rise cupcake (you know, those fluffy cupcakes with the high top), the easiest way to do that is to use cake flour. If you don’t have any on hand, however, you can make your own cake flour with a little cornstarch. Or…
- All-Purpose Flour – If you’re just lazy (like me) and there’s no way you’re going to actually go and get cake flour (and also, I can never remember to put it on the list–why is that?!), just use all-purpose flour. To get the high-rise fluffy cupcake look, you can just fill each cupcake liner with 1/4 cup of batter.
Tips to Fix Cupcakes
- Ugly Cupcakes – You can fix any cupcake’s unbalanced top or sunken centers with buttercream. Buttercream is your friend.
- Browned Edges or Tops – See remedy above (buttercream, baby) unless you’ve burned them. Toss them if they are burned, dry, or hard. Oven temperatures vary, so turn yours down or buy an oven thermometer.
- Flat Cupcakes – Cupcakes can fall for so many reasons. The temperature is too low or too high in the oven, the air pressure is wrong (like if you’re cooking at higher altitudes and not compensating), the ingredients were old and stale–or you just didn’t measure it, maybe you jostled them while they cooled, or maybe you over mixed–or under mixed. The best way to prevent a flat cupcake is to follow the instructions exactly. Once you’ve got cupcakes that are flat, the best thing to do is frost them like you meant for them to be flat–see the remedy above.
Tips to Frost cupcakes like a pro
- Frosting – Get yourself a great buttercream recipe (it needs to be stiff) and learn how to frost in your favorite style. Not all butter-creams are created equally.
- Have you ever been to a party and the cupcakes looked like they slid off the front seat while in transit even though they didn’t? Soft buttercream isn’t the best for cupcakes because the top needs to hold its shape. I promise it will still taste amazing!
- For a wow-worthy effect, start watching this cupcake decorating video at 4:30 – it shows you how to pipe really impressive swirls. If you have a lot of cupcakes to make, need to pack them up in boxes, or want to extend your buttercream the farthest it can go, watch this basic cupcake frosting techniques video.
How to Make Lazy Girl Chocolate Cupcakes - Recipe and Tips
Below is the written and printable tutorial for this tasty cupcake recipe. Use the comments section below if you have any questions.
More Cupcake Decorating Ideas You Might Like
- Gnome Cupcakes - Got a cupcake you're not sure is super pretty? Hey, pop a gnome on top and OMG! IT'S THE CUTEST THING EVER!
- Watermelon Cupcakes - Perfect for a pool party, you're going to love having a bit of watermelon to share to your guests!
- Rapunzel Cupcakes - All the best cupcakes have a tiny chameleon on them. I mean, honestly.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite dessert recipes board on Pinterest.