These patriotic ice cream cone cupcakes are the perfect 4th of July cupcakes for those very occasions when it’s time to pop and sparkle.
Patriotic Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, I love to go all out for our Independence Day party every year. This year, we’re piling our 4th of July dessert table high with all sorts of fun party cupcakes!
One of the kids’ all-time favorites are these easy patriotic ice cream cone cupcakes. They’re so cute and fun to make. The kids can help, so grab them and let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
Not ready to make these? Pin this to your favorite 4th of July dessert ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here when you are.
Tips to Make this 4th of July Dessert
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before trying to frost them. Warm frosting runs and well, it doesn’t look too great.
- If you want to purchase cupcakes, do so. If you don’t, I love our Lazy Girl’s Cupcakes because they’re super simple and always come out great.
- Want to take the red, white, and blue a bit farther? Use a bit of food spray on the cone or vanilla ice cream.
How Do I Make these Patriotic Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial. If you’re making a 4th of July dessert ideas playlist on YouTube, here is our patriotic ice cream cone cupcakes video tutorial.
- 24 ice cream cones
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 box red gelatin mix
- 1 box blue gelatin mix
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 to 6 tablespoons of milk
- Star sprinkles (click here for the ones we used)
- Preheat the oven and mix cake mix according to package instructions.
- Divide the batter evenly into three bowls. In one bowl, mix in half the red gelatin mix and stir. In another bowl, mix in one half of the blue gelatin mix. Stir to combine. Leave the final bowl as-is.
- Place an ice cream cone into the muffin tin and secure in place with foil around the bottom. Repeat with as many cones as needed.
- Layer the colors of mix so they reach no more than three-quarters of the cone: one tablespoon blue cake mix, followed by white, then red. Use a toothpick to smooth the cake mix to create an even(ish) layer. Bake the cupcakes and allow them to cool.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the icing: whip together shortening and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment. Slowly add powdered sugar and milk, alternating between the two.
- Using a large star tip, create an ice cream swirl on top of each cone. Top with red, white, and blue star sprinkles.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 475Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 1gSugar: 55gProtein: 6g
All nutrition information is estimated. Please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More 4th of July Food Ideas You Might Like
- The BEST 4th of July Food Ideas Around – If you’re on the hook for doing all the things for the big patriot-party, you’re in luck.
- July 4th Popcorn Balls – I made these some time ago, but they remain on my list of “must haves” for every July 4th barbecue.
- Pinwheel Cupcakes – You know you want a fun toy to play with while you eat your cupcake. You so do.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite Independence Day board on Pinterest.