This easy up-cycled sweater hat gnome is, by far, the fastest gnome I’ve ever made. In 5 minutes, this cute winter gnome DIY is created and displayed.
You will be able to create the cutest cold-weather gnome while highlighting a piece of your favorite faux fur. The gnome beard is the star in this easy gnome craft.
Upcycled Sweater Hat Gnome
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, I need a new title: Gnome Engineer. Seriously, I should be wearing a hardhat and drawing-up construction plans, because I make so many fun DIY gnome tutorials for you. But, this little recycled sweater hat gnome? It is FUN because it’s whimsical but also because it’s the fastest gnome to make.
Get Secret Gnomes, Tips, & Freebies Delivered!
What is the best pattern to use when you don’t want to sew? Do you know the secrets to a properly-proportioned gnome? Do you know where to get the best-priced fur?
Get all of this (and exclusive content just for you) delivered right to your inbox with the gnome-making series, free of charge. Sign up to get the once-weekly newsletter (and a jaw-dropping special offer)!
I had this gnome made in about 5 minutes. It took me longer to find the hat in our recycling bin / donate box than it took for me to make this gnome. So if you’re looking for a fast DIY gnome, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Save or Share it for Later
Need to grab a cute hat from the dollar store? Save this to your favorite up-cycled crafts ideas pin board or share it on Facebook. Use the sharing buttons and it will be easy to find when you’re ready to begin.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases. There could be affiliate links within this article.
RELATED READING: DIY Christmas Gnomes – So Many Cute Ideas
Tips to Keep in Mind When Making This Recycled Hat Idea
- Use any winter hat. If you’re not recycling one of your own, head to the dollar store, the thrift store, or a consignment shop.
- If the hat doesn’t have a pom pom, you can make one from the same faux fur you choose to use. I have shown how to make a faux fur pompom a couple of different ways in case you need it.
- Don’t overfill this guy. You need some extra space to pull the fabric of the hat down to create the gnome’s hat brim.
- Love how smooth my gnome’s beard is? Me too. I did that by just brushing my fingers through it (no fancy brushes).
- Speaking of the faux fur I used, go to Amazon, Etsy, or your local craft or fabric store. There are SO many great faux fur fabrics out there (I have a nice collection I have used here).
Make this Recycled Sweater Hat Gnome
Below is the written tutorial for my easy winter hat gnome. Keep this page open and follow along with the steps.
If you’re making an easy craft ideas playlist on YouTube, here is the winter hat gnome video tutorial. While you’re there, go ahead and subscribe – we have a lot of fun on the channel.
More Easy DIY Gnomes You Might Like
- DIY Farmhouse Gnome – Easily our most popular farmhouse gnome–and he’s
- RIDICULOUSLY simple to make!Welcome Sign with Gnome Display Shelf – All your gnomes need to live on a shelf of honor while you’re displaying it.
- Farmhouse Girl Gnome – If you need a cute gnome to keep you company in the kitchen, this cute girl gnome is perfect!
Please Save or Share This Fun Winter Gnome Idea
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite easy crafts pin board.