These easy mermaid cupcakes are so spectacularly over the top, they’re so fun to make. But they’re so easy, the kiddo was involved the whole way!
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we have a tendency to make all sorts of fun and easy cupcake decorating ideas, but the best ones are always a little bit of an accident. Take these fun tye-dye cupcakes which, it turned out, they were really mermaid cupcakes in disguise. We started out with just a fun multicolored plan, then it grew and grew into a fun cupcake that would be perfect for a mermaid part.
And, at the end of the day, it was all about spending time with the kiddo. Just taking a few mintues to put together a silly cupcake and say “yes” to “can we add more frosting? can we put a mermaid tail on top” and you get this gorgeous result. If you’re ready to make a fun under-sea party cupcake, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite easy cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Mermaid Party Cupcakes
- The mermaid tail silicone mold is SO EASY to use! This is the third time I’ve turned to it to make a fun treat and it’s the perfect accessory if you have a mermaid fan. You can check out the one I have here, if you need one. And here’s the seashell mold, too.
- I know it’s subtle, but these cupcakes are frosted with white and pink swirled together. If you’re doing that, be sure to do a couple of practice swirls of your frosting on some parchment paper. The frosting never comes out right when it’s just starting.
- Let these mermaid cupcakes cool completely before frosting them. Warm frosting runs and friends, it’s not pretty.
- If you need a vanilla cupcake recipe, I recommend making our Lazy Girl’s Easy Vanilla Cupcakes. They take less than 30-minutes and use ingredients you likely have on hand. And they are a BIG hit on Pinterest.
How Do I Make this Mermaid Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- Your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe
- blue, pink, purple and green gel food coloring
Mermaid Tails and Seashells
- 1 Tube of Pink fondant
- 1 Tube of Lilac fondant
- 1 C of corn starch
- 1 tube of gold luster dust
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 2 1/2 C powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-5 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Blue and pink gel food coloring
- Purple, green, blue, white and orange Jumbo Nonpareils Sprinkles
- To make the mermaid tails, lightly coat your hands with cornstarch and massage the pink fondant until soft .
- With one of the brushes, lightly dust the silicon mold with cornstarch.
- With a tablespoon-sized portion of fondant, press it into a tail mold.
- Repeat with all of the mermaid tail molds until you have 12.
- Repeat the process with the seashell mold to make 12-24 shells.
- Allow the fondant creations to sit for 5-10 minutes in the mold before flipping it over and carefully pushing out the fondant pieces.
- Lightly brush each of the mermaid tails with the luster dust.
- Let the fondant pieces dry for 1 hour while you make the cupcakes.
- Make your cupcake batter per your recipe, but before putting the batter into the tins, divide the batter equally into 4 small bowls.
- Add 5-10 drops of food coloring to each bowl (one color to one bowl).
- Mix each colored batter until combined and the color is consistent throughout.
- With a small spoon, place 1 spoonful of colored batter into the cupcake liners.
- Repeat with each of the other colors until the liners are 3/4 full.
- Bake in the oven per your recipe's directions.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before frosting.
- With a stand mixer, combine all of the frosting ingredients and mix on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Scoop about 1 C of frosting into 3 separate bowls.
- Add a few drops of each food coloring into the bowls (one color per bowl).
- Place the blue frosting into a piping bag with no tip (just nip off the corner).
- Frost each of the cupcakes with the blue frosting in an even layer.
- Mix all of your sprinkles in a bowl.
- Dip the blue frosted cupcakes into the sprinkles to coat the frosting completely in sprinkles.
- Place the pink frosting into one side of a piping bag with a star tip, then place white frosting on the other side.
- Pipe a generous dollop of swirled frosting into the center of the blue frosting on each cupcake.
- Press a mermaid tail into the frosting.
- Add a seashell onto the side of the frosting on each cupcake and enjoy!
For more fun cupcake decorating ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 453Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 0gSugar: 50gProtein: 1g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Mermaid Party Ideas You Might Like
- Mermaid Sugar Scrub Cubes – This is the easiest recipe to make sugar scrub cubes and they make the perfect party favor for little girls or big ones!
- Mermaid Crown – You are not going to find a more perfect craft for a mermaid party–so simple and fun!
- Mermaid Popcorn – So much fun to be had making and eating this awesome mermaid popcorn. Just be sure to package some up as favors for the guests!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite mermaid party ideas board on Pinterest.