These easy mermaid cupcakes are so spectacularly over the top and they’re so fun to make! But don’t shy away from them because they look like a professional baker made them – it’s honestly, just a few tricks.
The mermaid tail mold is my secret weapon, along with some tried-and-true recipes I’ll share. And the best part is that the decorations can be made well in advance of when you need them.
Mermaid Cupcakes DIY
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we have a tendency to make all sorts of fun and easy cupcake decorating ideas, but the best ones are always a little bit of an accident. Take these fun tie dye cupcakes which, it turned out, they were really mermaid cupcakes in disguise.
We started out with just a fun multicolored plan, then grew and grew into fun mermaid tail cupcakes that would be perfect for a party! If you’re ready to make a fun under-sea party cupcake, let’s get started.
Gathering Ideas? Save or Share This for Later
If you’re in the planning stages of a mermaid birthday party, save this to your favorite easy cupcake decorating ideas pin board or share it to Facebook. Use the sharing buttons to to make it easy to find when you’re ready to begin.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases. There could be affiliate links within this article.
Tips to Make Mermaid Party Cupcakes
- The mermaid tail silicone mold is SO EASY to use. This is the third time I’ve turned to it to make a fun treat and it’s the perfect accessory if you have a mermaid fan. And here is the seashell mold I used.
- I know it’s subtle, but these cupcakes are frosted with white and pink swirled together. Do a couple of practice swirls of your frosting on some parchment paper because the frosting never comes out right when it starts.
- Let these mermaid cupcakes cool completely before frosting them.
- Use gel food coloring for the most vibrant colors which take the least amount of colorant.
- If you need a vanilla cupcake recipe, I recommend making our Lazy Girl’s Easy Vanilla Cupcakes. You can also use a vanilla boxed cake mix if you have that on hand.
More Mermaid Party Ideas You Might Like
- Mermaid Popcorn – So much fun to be had making and eating this awesome mermaid popcorn. Just be sure to package some up as favors for the guests!
- Mermaid Muddy Buddy Recipe – The pastels and perfect flavor combination make this Chex mix a must-have.
- Mermaid Crown – You are not going to find a more perfect craft for a mermaid party–so simple and fun!
- Adorable Crab Sandwiches – This kid-friendly sandwiches look like a crab to add a fun and festive tilt to the mermaid party food.
- Princess Ariel Bath Bombs – Take 10 minutes to create these bath bombs for a party favor – little ones LOVE the bubbles.
More Mermaid Color Inspiration and Sprinkle Warning
As you can see, we’ve made these jaw-dropping cupcakes a few times now. They can be made with any colors to match a party, birthday, or movie theme. I just change the color of fondant, spray, and sprinkles.
When serving little ones (under 4), I leave off the sprinkles. But trust me when I say, the mermaid tails are show-stoppers on their own.
Please Save or Share This Mermaid Cupcake Idea
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite mermaid party ideas pin board.
How To Make This WOW-Worthy Mermaid Cupcakes Recipe
Below is a step by step of how to create the fondant mermaid tails and seashells, the colorful cupcakes, the frosting, and even some piping tips.
If you need a cupcake recipe, try mine – it’s one of the most popular vanilla cupcake recipes on the Internet because it comes out perfectly every time.