Let’s make a mermaid crown for a mermaid costume or for dress-up play! It’s an easy DIY and the kids will love to help decorate!
It’s such a simple project and it can go with a fancy mermaid costume while your kids play mermaid dressup or it can just go with their favorite mermaid t-shirt! So cute, I kind of want to wear a mermaid costume crown, myself. Let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite mermaid costume or crafts board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make a Mermaid Costume Crown
- Be liberal with the modge podge stiffy in step 1, it will make the lace firmer and last longer.
- Be liberal with the hot glue when putting your shells on–they will come off if you aren’t.
- Don’t be afraid to add more shells–the more the merrier!
How Do I Make this Mermaid Crown?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial. If you’re making a mermaid costume or mermaid crafts playlist on YouTube, here is our DIY mermaid crown video tutorial.
- Gold 2” or wider lace
- Mod podge Stiffy
- Sea shells,star fish
- Gold bead trim
- Plastic wrap
- Hot glue gun/stick
- Sponge brush
- Measure the size of the crown you would like for your head using the lace itself or a flexible measuring tape. Cut your lace to the same size. I purchased my lace by the yard and a half yard was the perfect size for me.
- Spread lace out and thickly coat both sides with ModPodge with a sponge brush. Curve into a circle and hot glue the ends together.
- To support your crown while it is drying cut a piece of card stock the same height and length as your lace and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Tape it into a circle to use as a form. Place inside crown form and allow to dry completely.
- Remove card stock/plastic wrap and add another coat of ModPodge. Let the crown dry completely.
- Once your lace is stiffened, you can add decorations. Start by hot gluing gold bead trim all the way around the bottom.
- Arrange shells, starfish, sand dollars, etc and glue to the crown until you are satisfied.
- Hold in place on your head with a couple bobby pins.
For more fun mermaid costume and mermaid craft ideas, be sure to check RufflesandRainboots.com
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Mermaid Dressup and Play Ideas You Might Like
- Mermaid Costume with No-Sew Option – If your little one love mermaid dressup, this mermaid costume is the absolutely perfect accompaniment to their mermaid crown.
- Mermaid Bath Bombs – All mermaids love playing in the water. Take your mermaid crown to the bath for playtime with these mermaid bath bombs!
- Mermaid Toast Treat – Want to make breakfast or snack-time a little more special for your mermaid today? Try making this mermaid toast treat (and have one yourself–they’re yummy).
- Mermaid Slime – Super easy to make and literally HOURS of fun for the kids, this mermaid slime is perfect for playing with while wearing a mermaid crown!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite mermaid dressup board on Pinterest.