This Snickerdoodle cupcake recipe is just what you need for your sweet tooth, especially when the cool fall weather is upon us. These delicious homemade cupcakes taste just like a soft, bakery-made Snickerdoodle cookie.
Made with simple ingredients from your pantry and fridge, you can put these cupcakes together in just about 30 minutes. That includes the homemade cinnamon frosting which is so, so good!
RELATED READING: The Most Popular Vanilla Cupcake Recipe
What You'll Find On This Page
Homemade Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, cupcakes hold a special place in our hearts. We have made several popular recipes in our time. In fact, the internet went crazy over our easy vanilla cupcake recipe, making the recipe go viral.
Get Cupcake Recipes, Freebies, and More!
If you love the cinnamon sugar rolled Snickerdoodle cookie, this recipe is one you will go back to in the recipe box over and over. I love that it is from scratch but doesn’t take any longer to make than a boxed cake mix cupcake recipe.
If you need time to gather your ingredients before you can make your homemade cupcake recipe, bookmark or share this this page to social media. Either way will make it easy to find when you are ready to begin.
As an Amazon Associate, I could earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within this article.
RELATED READING: Cake Mix Chocolate Mint Cookies (Oh, They’re GOOD)
Why These Snickerdoodle Cupcakes are the Perfect Snack
Although they are made from scratch, they are incredibly easy to make and this includes homemade frosting. They have a cinnamon flavor reminiscent of the popular cookie.
Snickerdoodle is a Christmas classic cookie for cookie exchanges, but if you like cinnamon, these are perfect year round. They’re perfect with a glass of milk or, for adult palettes, Amaretto (the almond flavor is a class pairing).
Baking is one of my daughters and my favorite activities. We love spending time in the kitchen making a favorite dessert recipe and it is such a great way to make memories. This recipe is a good way to get kids in the kitchen because you can discuss numbers, fractions, and measurements.
RELATED READING: Easy Cookies and Cream Cupcakes Recipe
Tips for Making a Snickerdoodle Cupcakes Recipe
- When a recipe calls for room temperature ingredients, this is an important step not to change. This makes for a smooth batter and a light and fluffy cupcake. If the ingredients are cold, they will not incorporate well and make the batter and frosting lumpy and not mixed properly.
- If you have ever had a short and dense cupcake, most likely the batter was over-mixed. You should combine the dry and wet ingredients JUST until they are mixed together.
- If you need to replace 1-2 eggs in a cupcake or cake recipe, you can substitute 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar OR 1/4 cup vegetable oil for each egg. This will offer a light and fluffy cupcake.
- If you aren’t already doing this, take your newly baked cupcakes from the baking pan and place them on a wire rack to cool. If you leave the cupcakes in the hot pan, this can cause them to over-bake.
RELATED READING: Bananas Foster Cupcake Recipe – A High End Culinary Delight
Ingredients to Make Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
Below are the ingredients I used to make these yummy Snickerdoodle cupcakes. Before you head to the store, check your fridge and pantry to see what you have on hand. If you forgot to buy eggs, read the tips above to see what you can substitute.
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter, room temperature
- Pure vanilla extract
How To Make Snickerdoodle Cupcakes From Scratch
Each step for this recipe is listed below so it’s easy to follow. Keep this page open while you are creating your Snickerdoodle cupcakes. If you would rather have a printable recipe, scroll down and select the print button.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add cupcake liners to a 12-serving cupcake pan, and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
Add butter to a large mixing bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until creamy. Note: if you have a hand mixer, use that on a low setting to start and increase to a medium setting.
Slowly add in the sugar to the creamed butter. Once mixed in, add in the eggs one at a time, beating each until well combined.
Combine vanilla extract with milk in a measuring cup.
With the mixer on low, add in the dry ingredients, alternating between the milk and vanilla mixture. Once the ingredients are combined, increase the speed to medium and mix for 30 seconds.
Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, divide the batter evenly into a prepared cupcake pan, filling each ¾ full.
Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Check at 15 for ‘hot’ ovens. Place on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Ingredients for the Homemade Snickerdoodle Frosting
- Unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Homemade Snickerdoodle Frosting
This is a delicious cinnamon frosting recipe for cupcakes that can be used in many flavors. These pair best with rich vanilla-spice cakes (as we’ve made here) or pear, almond, or brown sugar cupcakes.
While the cupcakes are cooling, add butter to a large mixing bowl. Using an electric hand or stand mixer, beat until creamy.
Slowly add in powdered sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla, and mix until well combined and smooth. Start on low speed.
If the frosting is too thick (personal preference), mix in a bit of milk. Repeat until the desired consistency is achieved.
Add frosting to a piping bag and pipe frosting onto the cupcakes. If you need a refresher on different ways to pipe, check out the tips and techniques for frosting cupcakes.
Notes for Making Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
- When bringing cupcakes to an event, I like to use parchment paper cupcake liners because they are grease-proof and the cupcake doesn’t stick. Tulip cupcake liners add a bakery-style, but traditional cupcake liners are available (and what I used).
- If possible, bake one pan of cupcakes at a time in the center of the oven. This will give an even bake rather than crowding more than one pan on a rack at a time.
- Store frosted cupcakes in an airtight container on the counter.
- Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to three months. Thaw on the counter fully before frosting.
More Cupcake Recipes You May Enjoy
- Banana Cream Pie Cupcakes Recipe: This cake mix-based recipe comes together in a snap. With a pudding-filled middle, they taste just like the traditional dessert.
- Easy Butterbeer Cupcakes Recipe: For all the Potterheads in the group, this is THE dessert for you. This easy-to-make recipe tastes just like the drink from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
- Minnie Mouse Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes: These easy and wow-worthy cupcakes look like you hired someone to bake these for you. They have a delicious chocolate base, vanilla frosting, and a decadent chocolate ganache drizzle.
Please Save or Share
Your shares are how this site grows and I sincerely appreciate it. Please save this homemade cupcake recipe to your favorite dessert pin board or share it on Facebook.