These easy flag cupcakes are a perfect addition to your Independence Day food plan. They’re a fun party cupcake decorating idea everyone will love!
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, I love a reason to come together and celebrate being with family, friends, and neighbors in a meaningful way. This year, I decided our 4th of July dessert table would include this awesome (and easy) flag cupcakes recipe.
This is a very kid-friendly recipe, so pull in the little ones to help put them together. Let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
Pin this to your favorite Independence Day board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make this 4th of July Dessert
- Start with your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe. I love our Lazy Girl’s Cupcakes because they’re simple and I love simple.
- Frost them after they’ve cooled COMPLETELY. Warm frosting is no good and it’ll slide right off the cupcakes.
- Make sure your hands are dry when handling the candies. When they get the least bit damp, they smear, then you’re covered in blue food coloring. The color will also transfer to the white icing if they get wet, so do not refrigerate these cupcakes before your get together.
How Do I Make these Flag Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial. If you’re making a 4th of July dessert playlist on YouTube, here is our flag cupcakes video tutorial.
- Our favorite Lazy Girl Vanilla cupcake recipe
- Vanilla frosting (purchased or homemade)
- Red and blue mini M&M’s
- Preheat your oven to 350° and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Make the cupcake batter, fill the liners three-quarters full, and bake.
- Sort the miniature M&M candies while the cupcakes cool - you’ll need red and blue.
- Place a round tip in a decorating bag and fill with vanilla frosting. Frost each cupcake and place 6 blue M&M’s in the left corner in a triangle shape. Make stripes with the red M&M’s.
For more fun Independence Day food ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots.
Additional Supplies Needed:
- Decorating bag
- Round decorating tip
- Cupcake liners
- Cupcake baking pan
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information will be dependent upon your cupcake and frosting ingredients. Please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Independence Day Food You Might Like
- The BEST 4th of July Food Ideas Around – If you’re on the hook for doing all the things for the big patriot party, you’re in luck.
- July 4th Popcorn Balls – I made these some time ago, but they remain on my list of “must haves” for every July 4th barbecue. And the kids just LOVE them when you put them on a lollipop stick!
- Pinwheel Cupcakes – You have to check these out – they are the absolute cutest!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite Independence Day food board on Pinterest.