These gnome cupcakes were perfect when I needed a quick and easy cupcake decorating idea. I am so glad I made them–because the kiddo LOVED them!
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are both cupcake obsessed and gnome obsessed. Not only is there a little bit of both in these awesome gnome cupcakes, but they’re so easy that kids can help make them. And that right there is one of the best things ever!
Seriously, I think kids enjoy food even more when they’ve enjoyed making it with you. And then I’m not just left with an icing-clean cupcake carcass on the table, So, if you’re ready to make a gnome cupcake, well. let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite easy cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make cupcake gnomes
- I always like to start cupcake recipes with my Lazy Girl Cupcakes. They’re easy, no-fail cupcakes that virtually anyone can make and be confident you’re going to get a yummy, fluffy cupcake every time.
- Seriously, get the kids involved. They’ll have a blast putting the marshmallows on the gnome for his beard and they can’t make too much of a mess, if they just put them on and don’t try to move them around a lot. Good news? Even if they make a mess, the kids ARE washable.
- My littlie wanted pink gnome cupcakes, but if you’d like cupcake gnomes with a red hat, be sure to use a professional coloring, because you cannot get white chocolate to color red red without it.
How Do I Make gnome cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 6 of your favorite vanilla cupcakes
- 2 cups marshmallows
- 6 ice cream cones
- 1 cup white chocolate melts
- 10-20 drops red GEL food coloring
- 1 can of your favorite vanilla frosting
- ¼ cup (ish) of white modeling chocolate colored skin-tone or marshmallow fondant in slightly orangey (whatever you had on hand is fine)
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Place white chocolate melts into a tall (taller than the ice cream cones, if possible) microwave-safe dish and microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir chocolate melts, re-microwave in 30-second increments and stirring between until melted.
- Add 10 (or more) drops red GEL food coloring to melted chocolate.
- If the chocolate congeals, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil until chocolate is melty again.
- Dip ice cream cones, turning the glass on its side to get the chocolate to come down the sides so you can get the entirety of the ice cream cone covered.
- Place ice cream cones in the refrigerator or freezer for ten minutes.
- While those are chilling, color your frosting with 10 (or more) drops red GEL food coloring to match the chocolate you made.
- Using a round piping tip, pipe icing onto the top of each cupcake in a single layer.
- Break modeling chocolate into 12 equal-sized pieces.
- Break each of the 12 pieces of modeling chocolate into 3 pieces, 2 small equal-sized ones and one large.
- Roll each of the pieces of modeling chocolate into individual little balls. These are the noses and hands for each gnome. Set aside.
- Place ice cream cones on top of each cupcake, off to one side.
- Pipe additional icing in face area, covering the side of the cupcake and up about ¼ of the way up the ice cream cone to create a base for the face.
- Place one large modeling chocolate piece into the top of the icing you just piped for the face area. This is the nose.
- Cover the area below nose with marshmallows.
- Add the two small pieces of modeling chocolate (the hands) midway down the side of the cupcake, to the sides of the face area.
For more fun Gnome recipes, visit RufflesandRainBoots.com
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 601 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 65mg Sodium: 205mg Carbohydrates: 77g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 63g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Cupcake decorating ideas You Might Like
- Popcorn Cupcakes – You won’t find a more crowd-pleasing cupcake for a movie night!
- Cactus Cupcakes – Did you know, these can be made SO EASILY! No joking, this is simple as can be.
- Campfire Cupcakes – Having a fun summer campout or day trip? Make these easy campfire cupcakes for the win!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite easy cupcake ideas board on Pinterest.