The kiddo found some halloween sprinkles and felt inspired to make halloween cupcakes in preparation for our halloween celebration, whatever that may be.
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are really REALLY looking forward to halloween this year. No matter if we’re dressed in elaborate costumes or decide to call it a night early and watch a scary movie on the couch, it’s definitely something we’re going to enjoy. And one way we’re planning to add fun to our night is by making some epically easy and fun halloween cupcakes!
They’re so simple, but really elaborate looking, the kiddo can run the show almost and feel super accomplished. Plus, who doesn’t love a fun, fluffy cupcake with halloween sprinkles?! Not me, that’s for sure. If you’re ready to make a simple cupcake for halloween, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Love cupcakes and want free recipes?
If you use gMail or Yahoo, please check the spam or "promotional" folders. Whitelist my email address or reply to the email to ensure delivery of all files. Happy Holidays! - Sarah
Tips to Make This Halloween Treat
- Start with a rich and moist chocolate cupcake. I always recommend my lazy girl chocolate cupcake recipe because you can’t go wrong with it as long as you follow the recipe. Plus, it’s easy to make, so you can get to the fun part of decorating!
- One of my favorite things about decorating cupcakes for halloween is getting intense orange, purple, black or green colors. The trick I like to use is gel food coloring like this. You just can’t get that bright and vivid saturation of your icing with that standard water-based food coloring you use for easter eggs.
- My last suggestion: use whatever cupcake icing you love most to ice your cupcakes. Your cupcakes are made for your enjoyment, not mine. So, use buttercream icing or cream cheese icing or even canned icing (honestly, I use it from time to time too). For my halloween cupcakes, I decided to use a homemade buttercream, included in the recipe below of course. But the only reason is because buttercream happens to be my favorite.
How Do I Make Halloween Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 Chocolate Cupcakes (I like to use my lazy girl chocolate cupcakes here)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5-6 drops of black gel food coloring
- 5-6 drops of orange gel food coloring
- 3 cups of halloween sprinkles
- Cream together the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream and vanilla together.
- Separate about 1/2 cup of the frosting in a second bowl. Set aside.
- Place a second 1/2 cup of frosting into another bowl and add 5-6 drops of orange gel food coloring. Stir until the color is consistent throughout.
- Place the orange frosting onto one side of a decorating bag with a star or other decorative tip loaded.
- Place the white frosting onto the other half of the decorating bag and set aside.
- To the remaining frosting, add 5-6 drops of black gel food coloring and stir until the color is consistent throughout.
- Scoop a small portion of the black icing into an ice cream scoop and place directly on the top of each cupcake then spread the frosting slightly to make a thick layer.
- Place the sprinkles into a cereal bowl, then dip the top of each cupcake into the sprinkles, being gently but firm so as to get the maximum sprinkles stuck to the frosting.
- With the decorating bag of orange and white icing, pipe the frosting onto the top of each cupcake in a small swirl then enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 186mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 2gSugar: 33gProtein: 1g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
More Easy Cupcake Recipes You Might Like
- Fun Frankenstein Cupcakes – I love how easy these fun cupcakes for halloween are to make! They’re my favorite way to bring a little life to the party (get it?!)!
- Spun Sugar Spiderweb Cupcakes – The kiddo is fascinated with how we turn sugar into spiderwebs with this fun spider cupcake.
- Easy Ghost Cupcakes – You’re not going to find an easier halloween treat recipe. It’s literally so fast and simple, you can’t help but make a million in just a few minutes!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite easy cupcake recipes board on Pinterest.