These pumpkin cupcakes are so super easy to make that the kiddo was basically in charge–and they make an awesome fall treat!
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are all about the easy cupcake recipe. There’s no way that this girl is making complicated cupcakes–even if they look complex. I’m taking every shortcut possible to still get the coolest, tastiest cupcake that looks fun. Seriously. I have no shame with my cupcake game. And this recipe for pumpkin cupcakes is no exception. When I decided to decorate pumpkin cupcakes, I knew they’d need to be simple.
Frankly, I may have gone down the lane of “too simple” but is that really possible? I don’t think so. But the kiddo decorated about half of these cupcake pumpkins and that, honestly meant we got to spend some time bonding. Which is awesome too. So, if you’re ready to make a funtastic fall cupcake, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite fall desserts board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make cupcake Pumpkins
- Start with your favorite chocolate cupcakes–I love my lazy girl chocolate cupcake recipe because it’s a no-fail cupcake that’s so rich and moist, but fluffy and fun. It’s got everything you need in a cupcake and it’s easy to make.
- Now I think I’d like to share about my food coloring trick for getting intense color in that orange. The magic is in using gel food coloring like this. Seriously, your typical water-based food coloring that you have in your spice cabinet since 1940 just won’t cut it. Make it easy on yourself and grab some gel-based because a bright orange is just not happening without it.
- Then there’s the whole “which icing” question. It’s up to you whether you use buttercream icing or cream cheese icing–and no shade on canned icing (I keep at least one can in the pantry for cupcake emergencies….). But for this easy pumpkin cupcake recipe, I wanted to use a homemade buttercream. I mean, it’s my favorite and with a tweak or two you can make it as thin or as thick as you need it to be in just a minute. Who doesn’t love that?!
How Do I Make Pumpkin Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 chocolate cupcakes (I like to use my lazy girl chocolate cupcake recipe)
- Orange gel food coloring
- 12 pretzel sticks
- 12 Wilton candy leaves
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 2 1/2 C powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Make the vanilla cupcake batter.
- Fill the cupcake liners about halfway full.
- Bake in the oven for about 18-20 minutes. Remove the cupcakes and allow to cool fully before frosting.
- Using a stand mixer, combine the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream and mix on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add several drops of orange gel food coloring. Stir to combine. Depending on how 'orange' you want your frosting, you may want to continue adding drops to make the frosting more orange in color.
- Generously frost each cupcake in a single layer with the orange frosting.
- Use a shish kabob skewer to gently make a hole in the top side of each cupcake then insert 1 pretzel stick to look like a pumpkin stem.
- Finally place a leaf on each cupcake for a final touch before enjoying!
For more fun cupcake decorating ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 476mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 1gSugar: 44gProtein: 3g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
More Easy Fall Cupcakes You Might Like
- Pumpkin Eggnog Cupcakes – If you’ve never had the combo of pumpkin and eggnog, you’re missing out. Such a fun balance of fall flavors, it’s epic.
- Thanksgiving Mickey Cupcakes – I adore this easy pilgrim Mickey cupcake so much I want to make it again–but this time I’ll make Minnie too!
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes – I want a million caramel apples in my life and plopping one on top of a cupcake was so much perfection, I drool.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite easy dessert recipes board on Pinterest.