These popcorn cupcakes are absolutely perfect for a movie night at home or a circus party. This recipe using marshmallows will WOW them all!
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we know cupcakes. I mean, we’ve even compiled a huge list of every awesome cupcake decorating idea that we’ve had. But, one of the best ideas ever? Oh, these popcorn cupcakes, of course.
Sweet, silly, and perfect for a movie-night, this circus cupcake is so simple, you’ll be making a second batch next week! Let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
Gathering supplies or ideas? Pin this to your favorite party board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make this Circus Cupcake
- If you don’t have mini-marshmallows, you can always tear larger marshmallows into pieces. It’s going to make it look so much more like popcorn, too!
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting them. Warm frosting runs. It’s not pretty (and it won’t hold the marshmallows well).
- If you need a vanilla cupcake recipe, I recommend making our Lazy Girl’s Easy Vanilla Cupcakes. They take less than 30-minutes and use ingredients you likely have on hand.
How Do I Make these Popcorn Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial and if you have any questions, just let me know in the comments. Let’s make these fun cupcakes which are a marshmallow lover’s dream!
- 18 Vanilla Cupcakes (we love our Lazy Girl Easy Vanilla Cupcake Recipe)
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- Follow the Lazy Girl’s Vanilla cupcake recipe.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Empty the bag of mini marshmallows into a large bowl. To make marshmallow popcorn, use scissors to snip the top half of each marshmallow in 3 to 4 spots. Doing this will make them look like freshly popped popcorn kernels. Set the prepped marshmallows aside.
- Using a standing mixer, combine all ingredients until stiff peaks form and the frosting is creamy.
- Scoop the frosting into a piping bag prepared with a medium star tip.
- Pipe frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Begin sticking the "popcorn" onto the frosting to make it look like a mound of "popcorn" Once done sticking on the popcorn, spray spots yellow to make it look like butter.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 0g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
Need Another Cupcake Decorating Idea?
- Ultimate List of Every Awesome Cupcake Decorating Idea – For real, you’ll find a little bit of everything here–and definitely something unique and fun to inspire you.
- Unicorn Cupcakes – These are the single most adorable cupcake ever made. It’s all about the rainbow.
- Poop Emoji Cupcakes – Ok. I know, but the kids will just DIE with laughter. They’ll love it–you have to make these at least once!
- Teddy Bear Cupcakes – The kiddos are seriously going to love how sweet and cuddly this light and fluffy cupcake is.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite cupcake board on Pinterest.