If I could surprise my kids with campfire cupcakes every time, they would be so excited–and so would I. These bonfire cupcakes are so easy and fun to make, I’d make them every day!
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we have so much fun making cupcakes for random events. The kids love it, I love it, it’s just super fun to make them smile. One of the best reasons to make cupcakes is no reason at all. Like the little surprise camping trip we took last weekend. We made these fun campfire cupcakes as a surprise to reveal the trip!
If you’re ready to make bonfire cupcakes for your no-reason-at-all, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite summer cupcake idea board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make Bonfire Cupcakes
- Start with my Lazy Girl Cupcakes–they’re so easy and you can’t mess them up if you follow the directions. I literally use them for every cupcake I make, ever.
- Don’t have any Jolly Ranchers? That’s ok, you can still make the flames on the campfire cupcakes with this fun sugar glass recipe by just adding orange, yellow and red food coloring.
- It’s ok if you don’t have the rock candies. These bonfire cupcakes will look great without rocks, if you just add a few more Tootsie Rolls.
How Do I Make Campfire Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter (softened)
- 2 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 C cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bag Choco candy rocks
- 1 bag Tootsie roll candy
- 1 bag Jolly Rancher candy (red, orange, yellow)
- 2 C unsalted sweet cream butter (softened)
- 5 C powder sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6-10 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Red, orange and yellow food coloring
- Chocolate frosting Directions: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer.
- Add the butter on medium speed and beat for 1 minute.
- Add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder 1 cup at a time.
- Continue to mix to combine.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract.
- Mix on medium-high speed until the mixture is combined. Frosting should be a light dirt color.
- Scoop the frosting into the piping bag and frost the cupcake with a thin layer of the light dirt chocolate frosting.
- Start frosting at the center of the cupcake working out ward. Do not the frost to the edge of the cupcake.
(that should remain as the baked cupcake)
- Decorating Directions: Using your hands slowly put single rock candies in place as the foundation for the bonfire.
- Allow the tootsie rolls to soften. You can speed this along by popping them in the microwave for 5 seconds.
- Roll each tootsie roll in the shape of campfire logs.
(3 per cupcake )
- Crisscross the logs to build the foundation of the campfire.
- Flame Frosting Directions: Using a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix on medium speed.
- Mix until you see stiffed peaks in your frosting.
- Once the frosting is made, split it into 3 bowls
- Add about 2-4 drops of each color: Add the Red food coloring to the first bowl. Add the Yellow food coloring to the second bowl. Add the Orange food coloring to the third bowl.
- Stir to mix the color throughout the entire bowl of frosting.
- Scoop the red frosting onto one side of the piping bag with the round tip
- Scoop the yellow frosting onto another (second side) side of the piping bag holding the red frosting.
- Scoop the orange frosting onto the the third side of the piping bag holding the red and yellow frosting.
- Squeeze the open end of the piping bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- Pipe a dollop of this frosting onto the center of the tootsie roll campfire logs to make a flame.
- Jolly Rancher candy flame Directions: Pour the red, yellow, and orange jolly ranchers into a zipper bag.
- Using a hammer break the jolly rancher candies into smaller pieces.
- Heat the oven to 275 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the crushed candy jolly ranchers over the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake them at 275 degrees for about 6 minutes (check frequently to make sure the candy doesn't burn.)
- Take out of the oven once the candy has melted.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Using a hammer break the candy into shards.
- Place the shards into the frosting flame.
For more fun cupcake decorating tips, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
Another Fun Summer CUpcake Idea You Might Like (or two)
- All the Best Party Cupcakes – I can’t tell you how many times this resource has helped me to find the best cupcakes for a party. I can come up with anything with a little inspiration from this page.
- Flaming Cupcakes – If you love a great, hot pink cupcake with a little bird, well, this fantastic pool party cupcake is perfect for you!
- Watermelon Cupcakes – There will never be anything more wonderful than this fun cupcake. So fun, so simple. But really cool.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite summer cupcake idea board on Pinterest.