I made these easy cactus cupcakes in just minutes. Seriously, this is the easiest cupcake decorating tip you will ever see. If you want to learn how to frost cupcakes like a cactus, well, this is is the best cupcake decorating hack.
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are not expert cupcake decorators. Not really. It’s not that it’s not fun to decorate cupcakes in fun ways, but that’s not even a hobby. Just a way to make the kids smile. But the truth is, I kind of wish I was better at it. So, I’ve been coming up with cool ways to make fun cupcake decorating hacks to share. This cactus cupcake is my favorite one so far.
If you’re ready to check out this awesome cupcake decorating tip and learn how to make an easy cactus cupcake, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite how to frost cupcakes board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make this Cupcake Decorating Tip
- You can make one type of cactus cupcake by running the star tip from top to bottom on the marshmallow, then adding a pink star “flower” on top. Make another by swirling the same tip around the bottom of the cactus shape. Then another by just dabbing stars all over. There’s lots of variations you can come up with, but these were my three favorites!
- I like to crush my graham crackers by placing them in a top seal plastic bag and rolling over them with a rolling pin a few times. This makes them nice and squished, breaking them up a lot.
- Don’t use a lot of chocolate frosting–you’re just building a little bed for the cactus cupcake, not frosting the cupcake with the chocolate frosting. Keep that in mind. Because too much frosting underneath the marshmallow will make it slip off.
How Do I Make this Cactus Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 Vanilla Cupcakes (I like to use my Lazy Girl Cupcakes--it's no-fail!)
- Cherry, chocolate and green frosting in a decorating can
- White nonpareil sprinkles
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost the top of each cupcake with chocolate frosting and dip into a small bowl of graham cracker crumbs.
- Add a small amount of chocolate frosting to the bottom of each marshmallow and place one marshmallow on top of each cupcake.
- Use your can of green frosting and different decorating tips to cover/frost the marshmallows to make them look like cacti. Example: use the start decorating tip to frost stars all over the marshmallow.
- Place a star tip in the bottom of a decorating bag and fill your bag with cherry frosting.
- Use the decorating bag to add a few stars to the top of each cupcake for flowers.
- Sprinkle the white nonpareil sprinkles on the green part of the cupcakes.
For more great cupcake decorating cupcakes ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 221mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 0gSugar: 35gProtein: 3g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
How to Frost Cupcakes in More Fun ways
- All the Best Party Cupcakes – I can’t tell you how many times this resource has helped me to find the best cupcakes for a party. I can come up with anything with a little inspiration from this page.
- Flaming Cupcakes – If you love a great, hot pink cupcake with a little bird, well, this fantastic pool party cupcake is perfect for you!
- Watermelon Cupcakes – There will never be anything more wonderful than this fun cupcake. So fun, so simple. But really cool.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite how to frost cupcakes board on Pinterest.