I had a bit of inspiration and some leftover supplies, so I tried my idea out and made this super quick and easy Dollar Tree gnome from a cup!
Dollar Tree Gnome from a Cup
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we seriously had about 15 minutes to try out an idea. But wow – the result was so easy, I immediately had to share. This super quick gnome is so simple, literally anyone can make it.
So, grab yourself a cup from the Dollar Tree (yes you read that right, a cup) and let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite easy DIYs board on Pinterest and it’ll be here when you’re ready.
Get Secret Gnomes, Tips, & Freebies Delivered!
What is the best pattern to use when you don't want to sew? Do you know the secrets to a properly-proportioned gnome? Do you know where to get the best-priced fur?
Get all of this (and exclusive content just for you) delivered right to your inbox with the gnome-making series, free of charge. Sign up to get the once-weekly newsletter (and a jaw-dropping special offer)!
If you use gMail or Yahoo, please check the spam or "promotional" folders. Whitelist my email address or reply to the email to ensure delivery of all files. Happy Holidays! - Sarah
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make a Quick Dollar Tree Gnome
- The dollar store is not known for having a plethora of faux fur options. And I have a particularly understocked store in my community, so I really have to get creative. I’ve tried everything from mop heads, fluffy pillows a tiny teddy bear and now I’m using a Santa hat from a few I found right at the end of the holiday season.
- Now I know that I used a square-shaped cup for this gnome’s base. But you can use a rounded cup if you need to. This will work for almost any shape cup, honestly, if you’re just not finding the little square one I used.
- What if you can’t find a Santa hat for this gnome tutorial? Well, we’ve already talked about some beard fur alternatives. But if you need fabric for a hat, you can use felt, any other hat, or even a kitchen towel.
How Do I Make this Dollar Tree Gnome from a Cup?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- Buffalo Check Santa Hat
- White Felt
- Red Berry
- Square Dessert Cup
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue
- Cutting a piece of felt 4 inches tall by 9 inches wide.
- Place a line of hot glue down the side of the dessert cup and wrap the felt around the cup, gluing the last piece to the cup and then gluing to secure the felt. Tuck the extra felt underneath the bottom of the cup.
- Next trim the brown faux fur part off of the bottom of the Santa hat. Cut a 3 inch section of the faux fur for the beard. Glue the beard to the felt-covered cup and trim the beard to give it a more pointed shape.
- Glue the red berry for the nose.
- Cut 4 1/2 inches from the top of the hat to create the gnome hat and stuff it with extra felt to make it stand up. Then glue the hat down on all sides.
For more fun gnome tutorials, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
More Dollar Tree Gnome Crafts You Might Like
- Make a Gnome Wreath in 20 Minutes – You can seriously make this quick gnome wreath in just under 20 minutes using only Dollar Tree supplies!
- Easy Gnome from a Triangle Shelf – A triangle shelf, some mop threads and a sock make for a fun and easy gnome craft.
- Twisty Hat Gnome – If you’re wondering how to make one of those super luxe gnomes with the twisty hat but you’re on a dollar store budget, check out this easy twisty-hat gnome!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite easy DIY dollar store crafts board on Pinterest.