My friend in Texas is about to get chilly weather so I made her this absolutely beautiful winter farmhouse wood sign to welcome the cold!
Winter Farmhouse Wood Sign
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we love crafting for the love of crafting, but there’s something about making a craft as a gift for a friend. One of the ladies I am friends with was complaining that the weather is turning and fast where she lives in Texas, but she doesn’t have a door hanger. So I decided to remedy that and made this beautiful winter farmhouse wood sign.
To be honest, I’m a little jealous of this farmhouse winter sign she’s getting. It’s simple, clean and just so fun. If you’re ready to make a winter door sign, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite farmhouse crafts board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make a Farmhouse Winter Sign
- First, grab the Baby It’s Cold Outside free Christmas cut file set here. I wanted something cute and wintery for my friend, but not overtly Christmasey so she can keep it hanging on her door even past the holiday on into January, if she wants.
- Grab a large wood round like this one. Because I planned to ship this, I wanted a smooth edge, unlike the live edge I wanted on the wood round I used for the farmhouse gnome fall display. But if I had planned to keep this farmhouse wood sign for winter, I would have maybe used the live edge. It might have been just a smidge more rustic and fun. So, you choose!
- Before you run off and staple down the rope on the back, be sure (so very sure) that your staples aren’t going to poke through your wood. I almost made that mistake and had to get the shorter staples. That would have been hard to cover at that point and you don’t want to ruin your pretty holiday wood sign there at the end.
How Do I Make this Winter Farmhouse Wood Sign?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 18-inch Wood Round
- Wood Stain
- Mod Podge or Other Craft Sealant
- Jute String
- White Permanent Vinyl
- 3-inch Burlap ribbon
- Faux Winter Foliage or other decorative element
- Floral Wire
- Sponge Paint brush
- Hot Glue Gun
- Staple Gun
- Cricut or other cutting machine
- Blue or Green Grip Mat
- Contact/transfer paper
- Weeding Tool
- Scraper tool/old gift card
- Wire Cutters
- Stain the wood round, applying a thin coat of stain with the sponge paint brush, then wiping away any excess stain with a towel. Allow the stain to dry completely.
- Using the Mod Podge or other craft sealant, apply a thin layer of the sealant to the stained wood round and allow this to dry completely before continuing.
- Download the cut file and upload it to Design Space. Follow the prompts to cut the design from the white vinyl.
- Remove the excess vinyl from the mat, then cut a piece of transfer tape large enough to cover the design.
- Since we're working with a larger design, you'll want to take care to lay the transfer tape flatly on the surface of the design, avoiding creating any bubbles.
- Once you have the design affixed to the transfer paper, apply the design to the wood round, taking care to place the design low enough to leave room for the burlap ribbon or other decorative elements.
- When you are happy with the location of the design on the wood round, apply pressure to the entire design with the scraper tool, affixing the vinyl to the wood.
- Gently and slowly remove the transfer tape, rubbing areas that don't appear to stay down best.
- If desired, apply another layer of craft sealant and allow to dry completely.
- Flip the wood round over and make a triangle from your jute cord long enough to nicely hang your wood sign. Add 2-3 inches on each side of the jute cord and turn them inward, stapling them in place to form the base of the triangle. This will help the jute cord from sliding out of the staples.
- Fold your burlap ribbon into a bow and secure it in the center with a piece of floral wire.
- Hot glue the faux floral elements to the top of the wood round and the bow below that. Then hang and enjoy!
For more fun winter farmhouse crafts, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
More Farmhouse Wood Signs You Might Like
- Faux Crate Farmhouse Centerpiece – This is one of the most beautiful farmhouse crafts you can make this winter and it’s so easy, you’re going to love it.
- Dollar Tree Fall Gather Sign – If you’re looking for more than just an easy craft, but one that won’t break the bank, either, this fun fall farmhouse sign is exactly what you need.
- Magic of Christmas Wooden Sign – So cute and definitely one of the best holiday crafts ever, this farmhouse wood sign is perfect for an entryway, door or more!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite holiday crafts board on Pinterest.