Making unicorn surprise cupcakes was kind of a, well, surprise for us because we weren’t expecting to even make cupcakes–but, sometimes, a unicorn’s just gotta have her cupcakes!
Unicorn Surprise Cupcakes
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are sometimes called upon to do some crazy things. A friend of a friend had a pickle and my kiddo, being big-hearted and wonderful in so many ways, offered to bring cupcakes to cheer up her friend. So, cupcake-making-time it was. And when the kiddo said she’d promised unicorn surprise cupcakes–well, my surprise led to such fun!
I can tell you with a lot of confidence that the kiddo, she led this entire effort, helping me with the baking, doing all of the unicorn-surprising and swirling the icing on the cupcakes. So, when I tell you this is an easy cupcake decorating idea, I’m certain. If you’re ready to bust out a fun unicorn cupcake idea, let’s get started.
Get Cupcake Recipes, Freebies, and More!
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite unicorn party ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Surprise Unicorn Cupcakes
- Because we made these surprise unicorn cupcakes kind of spur-of-the-moment, I made my own unicorn sprinkle mix, but if you’re not sure about making your own mix, which I totally get, you can just grab this adorable unicorn sprinkle mix here and save yourself the trouble.
- Start with your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe. If you’re anything like me, you definitely need a “no-fail” cupcake in your life, so I always fall back on my Lazy Girl cupcakes. Done right every time–as long as you can follow a basic recipe.
- If your heart is just set on it, you can make a cream cheese frosting, sure. But the best, most light and fluffy frosting you can pipe with a decorating bag is this awesome homemade buttercream in this recipe, with confectioners sugar and all the sprinkles you could ever dream of.
- Always always always let your cupcakes cool to room temperature before you frost them because warm frosting is no fun. Particularly when you’re turning them upside down to dip them in sprinkles. You’re just asking for the frosting to just drop off on the counter then. LOL!
- If you’re digging this idea, but you’re like “I’m not making cupcakes that need a pink top and a bunch of unicorn sprinkles! This is ridiculously girly!” you just first need to give me a pass because I have a kiddo that just loves all things unicorn like me. So, there’s that. But also, keep in mind that there are 9 million awesome options for filling surprise cupcakes that AREN’T unicorn sprinkles. Some of my favorite are:
- Gold Star Sprinkles for a team win!
- Mickey Sprinkles for a Mouse-in-the-House party.
- Dinosaur Sprinkles with the green and rawr and the stomp, stomp, stomp!
- Superhero Sprinkles in the colors of your favorite Marvel or DC heroes and heroines.
- Blue Ombre Sprinkles for a fun boy-o party!
- Mermaid Sprinkles for an under the sea party.
- Galaxy Sprinkles for the most amazing out of this world party!
How to Make Unicorn Surprise Cupcakes
Below is the written and printable tutorial for this fun cupcake decorating idea. Use the comments section below if you have any questions.
More Surprise cupcakes You Might Like
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes - I love these easy cupcakes--so much chocolate, a little cherry and OMG I love it so much.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes - If you love peanut butter and chocolate, well, this cupcake is amazingly perfect for you!
- Heath Bar Cupcakes - So much to love about the surprises inside this cupcake if you love Heath Bars!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest.