I love how fun these Rainbow Cupcakes turned out–but the best part is that the kid wanted a unicorn party and we made these in just a few minutes!
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we love making use of rainy days and throwing parties for no reason–well, my kiddo does anyway. So, when she insisted on a mini unicorn party with rainbow cupcakes (why it wasn’t a rainbow party, I have no idea) we were in the kitchen, hustling. Surprisingly quickly, we had a cupcake with a rainbow on top!
And how fun it was–the kiddo did all the heavy lifting, even mixing a little and putting together the rainbows. If you’re ready to make a rainbow cupcake you’re going to love, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite unicorn party board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Cupcakes with a rainbow on Top
- Start with your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe. If you’re anything like me, you definitely need a “no-fail” cupcake in your life, so I always fall back on my Lazy Girl cupcakes. Done right every time–as long as you can follow a basic recipe.
- If you leave out your fondant rainbows for a couple of hours or, even better, overnight, they’ll stand up really nicely on the top of your cupcakes. But if you’re ok with the rainbows kind of flopping over, feel free to pop those puppies on quickly after making them–they are just rainbows, after all. Ha!
- I just used fondant I grabbed at my local craft store (stop judging me–that’s where I was and it was and we just found ourselves together in the checkout line), but if it helps you here’s the set of rainbow fondant sampler I snagged.
- If you’d rather make it homemade, I found this super quick and fun recipe to make your own homemade marshmallow fondant that’s so tasty, it’s amazing.
- If your heart is just set on it, you can make a cream cheese frosting, sure. But the best, most light and fluffy frosting you can pipe with a decorating bag is this awesome homemade buttercream in this recipe, with confectioners sugar and all the sprinkles you could ever dream of.
- Always always always let your cupcakes cool to room temperature before you frost them because warm frosting is no fun. Particularly when you’re turning them upside down to dip them in sprinkles. You’re just asking for the frosting to just drop off on the counter then. LOL!
How to Make Rainbow Fondant Cupcakes
Below is the written and printable tutorial for this fun cupcake decorating idea. Use the comments section below if you have any questions.
More Rainbow Party Ideas You Might Like
- Rainbow Popcorn - One of the most perfect accompaniments to cupcakes is popcorn--particularly when you have a fun party in full swing!
- Rainbow Bath Bombs - If you want to send your guests home with the most epic of party favors, this is it.
- Rainbow Cereal Necklaces - This is a blast to do during the party that will make all of your guests squeal!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite rainbow party ideas board on Pinterest.