This fun Sorting Hat bookmark is the perfect Harry Potter craft. Let’s get started with the loveable grump who steals the show!
There are affiliate links in this article which means, at no additional cost to you, we could receive compensation for our recommendations. You can read our full disclosure policy.
Harry Potter Movie Night Fun
Oh, friends – this is one of our most favorite sets of family movie nights EVER! We are having so much fun putting together. So far, we have shared the following Harry Potter movie night food and fun:
- Harry Potter Healthy(ish) Caramel Popcorn
- Nimbus 2000 Broomsticks – Chocolate Harry Potter Snack
- Free Harry Potter Popcorn Box Printable Set (miniature and large boxes)
Be sure sign up here to be notified of any new movie night posts and all things creative and crafty.
Psst: this book (Totally Irresponsible Science Experiments) is pretty fun. We really love it.
Supplies for a Sorting Hat Bookmark
- polymer clay in brown
- black paint pen (these are our favorites) and a small amount of gold paint
- clay tools, clay glaze, and a paintbrush
- an eye pin, 2 jump rings, a small (3-inch) portion of chain, and pliers to work them
- these fun and quirky bookmark blanks
How to Make This Fun Harry Potter Craft
- Roll out two small balls of clay. Shape one into a cone by rolling one end. Flatten the other into a disk shape about 1/8th of an inch thick. Turn up the edges in a worn-hat style, bending some up and others down.
- Affix the cone shape to the disk and secure by pulling down the clay onto the disk and smoothing it out. Bend the top of the cone by pinching it and setting it off to one side.
- Use a clay took to make a mouth by opening up a small portion and ‘cutting’ the clay outward from the center. Fold up the lips in a snarl off to one side of the mouth.
- Use a dotting tool to make indentions for the eyes. Pull the edges up and out to form the eyes. Squish the clay right above the eyes to form the furrowed brows.
- Use the clay tool to create creases in the clay. Once finished, add a long eye pin into the top of the hat. Bake per clay package instructions.
- Use the paint pen to add black paint into the eyes, mouth, and some of the deeper creases. Use small amounts of the gold paint to add lighter accents to the Sorting Hat bookmark.
- Seal the sorting hat. Once dry, affix a jump ring with the chain to the bookmark blank and the sorting hat (another jump ring).
Over to You
I must say I’m pretty proud of this bookmark. Because of the special bookmark blanks, this sits perfectly in a book and hangs down nicely. Do you like working with polymer clay? Let us know in the comments if you’ve made any fun Harry Potter clay crafts (or others).