The idea of making a fun and easy Scandinavian dala horse ornament has been on my mind for a while. So I finally broke out some wine corks and made this easy ornament this holiday season!
Scandinavian Dala Horse Ornament
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we have been thinking a long time about how to make the perfect little horse ornament. After pondering and pondering, it finally came to me – wine corks! Cut those up and hot glue them together, you’ll have the most adorable little dala horse ornament.
And the best part is that you can decorate it with just about anything else you want – if you want a more traditional looking dala, you can paint it white and add red accents, you can use bright and colorful ribbon for a saddle. Seriously, let your creative juices flow. If you’re ready to make a cute Scandinavian horse ornament, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite Christmas crafts board on Pinterest and it’ll be here when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Scandinavian Horse Ornament
- Don’t feel like you need to wait until you’ve emptied several bottles of wine to make this easy wine cork ornament. You can get quality, unused corks here to make crafts much faster than waiting.
- One of the things I like best about this craft is that it’s super easy. One of the things I like least about making this dala horse ornament was that I got a little generous with the hot glue and burned my finger. One of my goals for my next craft: use some of these silicone finger protectors. I’m just so tired of burned fingers! HA!
- Other than the wine corks, everything else I needed to make this easy Scandinavian horse ornament set came from the dollar store. So, that really makes this a dollar store Christmas craft, right?!
- This is a really easy craft that can definitely be made by a child, So, if you want to get them making with you, grab a few of those finger protectors for the kiddo and got to town making pony ornaments!
How Do I Make this Scandinavian Dala Horse Ornament?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 5 Wine Corks
- Gold Tinsel Chenille Stem
- Red Chenille Stem
- 2 Small Pom Poms
- 2 Small Wiggle Eyes
- Plaid Ribbon, 2-inch Wide
- Gold Cord
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Craft Knife
- Self-Healing Mat
- Carefully trim 3 of the wine corks at an angle with the craft knife. Try to make the angles the same. I cut back about 1/2-inch on both sides.
- Using one of the scrap pieces of cork, cut it into four equal quarters shaped like triangles.
- Do a test-fit of the pieces to make sure you like how they look, trimming it up as necessary.
- Glue a full cork as the body to one of the cut corks as a neck.
- Attach a full cork as a head to the neck then glue each of the legs to the bottom side of the body.
- Glue two of the tiny triangle shaped cork pieces as ears to the top of the horse head.
- Use a pencil to coil a red chenille stem. Remove and cut in half.
- Glue one half of the curled red chenille stem to the rear of the head to make the mane. Then glue the second piece of chenille stem to the back of the body to make the tail.
- To make a bridle, wrap a gold tinsel chenille stem around the horse's muzzle, twisting it behind the head to secure. Bend the other gold tinsel chenille stem around the head. Trim away any excess chenille stem and attach both to the horse, completing the bridle.
- Attach a small pom pom to the center of each of the horse’s ears and the two wiggle eyes onto the face.
- Trim off a 3-4 -inch length of ribbon, and cut a triangular notch on each end. If desired, use a lighter to slightly melt the cut ends so the ribbon won't fray.
- Glue this ribbon draped over the body of the horse to make a saddle.
- To make a hanger, trim off a 12-inch length of gold cord, create a loop with a knot, then glue the knot hidden inside the horse's mane. Then hang and enjoy!
For more fun Scandinavian Christmas crafts, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
More Scandinavian Christmas crafts You Might Like
- Scandinavian Dala Horse SVG Set – I love how easy it is to make ANYTHING into a fun and beautiful Scandinavian Christmas craft just by adding this cut file set!
- DIY Scandinavian Christmas Trees – Nothing says Scandinavian holiday decor like a few simple and pretty Christmas trees you can make fast.
- Scandinavian Christmas Gnome Pattern – One of my favorite gnome patterns of all time, this beautiful pair is based on an easy gnome pattern anyone can make!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite DIY Christmas crafts board on Pinterest.