This is such a fun recipe for ninja cupcakes you can make with your kids for a ninja birthday party. You can basically make a million of these in just a few minutes!
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we have so much fun helping friends come up with fun cupcake ideas for parties (pssst…if you need a cupcake designed, let me know in the comments and I’ll see what I can do). And, one of the BEST and most easy requests a friend had for me was these easy ninja cupcakes.
Seriously simple, low frosting requirements and basically a great kid-made cupcake option for a ninja birthday party. It’s so fun, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite fun cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Ninja Decorated Cupcakes
- Start with your favorite vanilla cupcakes. I always break out my recipe for Lazy Girl Cupcakes–because it’s no-fail and just consistent. And it calls for pretty standard stuff, nothing weird that I might not have on any given day.
- You can absolutely use canned fondant–I do it all the time. But if you’d rather make it homemade, I found this super quick and fun recipe to make your own homemade marshmallow fondant that’s so tasty, it’s amazing.
- Never, ever ice your cupcakes without waiting for the cupcakes to cool completely. Any amount of frosting and warm cupcakes just makes a mess. So, let me say it for the folks in the back–wait for the cupcakes to cool.
- Definitely let the kids help you make these cupcakes. They’re super simple and really you don’t have to have “neat” frosting. Plus, it’s super simple to put the eyes on and the ninja mask. Let the kids help–this is the cupcake you want them to help with.
How Do I Make this Ninja Cupcake Recipe?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 cupcakes (from your favorite recipe or boxed mix)
- 1 to 2 cups vanilla frosting (from your favorite recipe or canned frosting)
- 2 (4.4 ounce) containers black fondant
- 24 candy eyeballs
- Gold sugar sprinkles
- Bake cupcakes per the directions on your recipe and prepare frosting.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
- Smear a small amount of frosting on each of the cupcakes.
- On a sheet of wax paper, roll out your black fondant to approximately ¼ cm thick.
- With a circle cookie cutter, cut fondant in 12 circles the size of the tops of cupcakes. Then, with a butter knife, cut each fondant circle in three sections--one large, one thin strip and the third whatever remains.
- Position the larger portion of black fondant on the bottom of each cupcake.
- Position the second largest portion of black fondant on the top of each cupcake, leaving a small space.
- Gently press the fondant pieces down into the frosting.
- Place two candy eyes into the empty space between the two pieces of black fondant.
- Place the last section of fondant across the bottom of the space between the two underling pieces of fondant--slightly overlapping the eyes.
- Smooth away any frosting squeeze-out.
- Roll the side of the cupcakes in the gold sugar sprinkles and enjoy!
For more fun cupcake decorating ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 535Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 347mgCarbohydrates: 84gFiber: 2gSugar: 68gProtein: 3g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Easy Cupcake Decorating Ideas You Might Like
- Flamingo Cupcakes – One of my favorite cupcakes of all time, these little flamingos are so fun, I want to make them again and again!
- Beach Cupcakes – Pool parties call for beach cupcakes every time. Just get your tiny umbrellas and let’s have some fun!
- Narwhal Cupcakes – Ridiculously easy and fun to make, you have to have these awesome and fun unicorn of the sea cupcakes at your next party.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest.