There’s just so much fun to be had with these narwhal cupcakes. And they come together so quickly, you can make 24 in just a few minutes!
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we love winter, but honestly, the summer is so much more fun. So, when the kiddo asked me to bring back some summer fun in the last few days of holiday break, well, I couldn’t help but throw her a mini-pool party (sans pool, of course), complete with these adorable narwhal cupcakes.
Such a simple cupcake decorating idea, these little kawaii cupcakes are just so cute–I wanna eat them up! If you’re ready to get a tusked whale cuteness on a cupcake, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite party cupcakes board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Love cupcakes and want free recipes?
If you use gMail or Yahoo, please check the spam or "promotional" folders. Whitelist my email address or reply to the email to ensure delivery of all files. Happy Holidays! - Sarah
Tips to Make Kawaii Cupcakes for a Pool Party
- Start with your favorite vanilla cupcakes. I always break out my recipe for Lazy Girl Cupcakes–because it’s no-fail and just consistent. And it calls for pretty standard stuff, nothing weird that I might not have on any given day.
- If you leave out your fondant whale tails for a couple of hours or, even better, overnight, they’ll stand up really nicely on the back end of your narwhals (or is it narwhales?). But if you’re ok with the tails kind of flopping over, feel free to pop those puppies on quickly after making them–they are just whale tails, after all. Ha!
- You can absolutely use canned fondant–I do it all the time. But if you’d rather make it homemade, I found this super quick and fun recipe to make your own homemade marshmallow fondant that’s so tasty, it’s amazing.
- Grab some of these little unicorn horn picks to put in the cupcakes so you don’t have to mess with making horns from fondant. Trust me, so much easier.
- Never, ever ice your cupcakes without waiting for the cupcakes to cool completely. Any amount of frosting and warm cupcakes just makes a mess. So, let me say it for the folks in the back–wait for the cupcakes to cool.
How Do I Make this Narwhal Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 of your favorite cupcakes
- Sky Blue gel food coloring
- 1 package of blue fondant
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- Sky Blue gel food coloring
- 2 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 5 C powder sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6-10 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Sky blue, soft pink and black gel food coloring
- Make your cupcakes per the recipe and add 5-10 drops of sky blue food coloring to the batter before baking.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
- To make the whale tails, sprinkle powdered sugar over a cutting board and roll your blue fondant to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out 12 whale tail shapes about 1 inch tall and 1 1/2 inch wide.
- Allow the whale tails to dry out overnight, if possible.
- To make the frosting, cream together all ingredients until stiff peaks form.
- Split icing into 3 bowls--one with the larger portion and two much smaller portions of about 1 cup each.
- To one of the smaller portions of icing, add in the black food coloring and stir to combine.
- To the second bowl of smaller portion of icing, add in a few drops of pink food coloring and stir to combine.
- Add 5-10 drops of sky blue food coloring to the larger portion of frosting.
- Using an ice cream scoop, add a scoop of frosting onto the top of each cupcake.
- Gently stick a unicorn horn into the frosting in the center top.
- With the black frosting and a small round decorating tip, pipe out a smile on the front of each cupcake along with two large eyes.
- With the pink frosting and a small round decorating tip, pipe two dots for cheeks on either side of the smile.
- With remaining blue frosting, pipe some flippers on the side of each cupcake by piping a small dollop on both sides with a medium round piping tip.
- Place a tail into the top back of each cupcake and enjoy!
For more fun cupcake decorating ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 904Total Fat: 59gSaturated Fat: 37gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 168mgSodium: 287mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 0gSugar: 95gProtein: 3g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
More Pool Party Cupcake Ideas You Might Like
- Watermelon Cupcakes – Everything summer and fun pool party is embodied in these easy and super tasty watermelon cupcakes!
- Flamingo Cupcakes – One of my favorite cupcakes of all time, these little flamingos are so fun, I want to make them again and again!
- Beach Cupcakes – Pool parties call for beach cupcakes every time. Just get your tiny umbrellas and let’s have some fun!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest.