How to Make a Woodland Gnome – a Rustic Gnome Tutorial
This woodland gnome is SO adorable and because it’s such an easy rustic gnome to DIY, you are going to love making it. It comes together fairly quickly and you can even raid your donation pile to get started.
For this easy gnome idea, you will need a cone, a couple of socks, and an old sweater. Head to a dollar store for the rest – let’s get started.
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, I make a lot of gnomes. Seriously, I love making gnomes and sharing them here and on my gnome tutorials YouTube channel here. When I come up with a ridiculously simple way to make a gnome, I get excited to share. This no-sew gnome looks complex, but is ready in no time.
RELATED READING: Easy Gnome Tutorials and Creative Gnome Ideas
Get Secret Gnomes, Tips, & Freebies Delivered!
What is the best pattern to use when you don’t want to sew? Do you know the secrets to a properly-proportioned gnome? Do you know where to get the best-priced fur?
Get all of this (and exclusive content just for you) delivered right to your inbox with the gnome-making series, free of charge. Sign up to get the once-weekly newsletter (and a jaw-dropping special offer)!
When any DIY is cleverly decorated to look more complex than they really are, it’s like winning the lottery. Well, maybe not that exciting, but close.
No Time to Make This Now? Save or Share This for Later
If you need to gather supplies, save this to your favorite rustic ideas pin board or share it to your Facebook feed. Use the sharing buttons on this page to make it easy to find again when you’re ready to begin.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases. There could be affiliate links within this article.
RELATED READING: Rustic Woodland Forest Gnome – Check Out the Hat!
Tips to Make a Rustic Gnome
- First, don’t panic if you don’t have an old sweater to make this up-cycled sweater gnome. You can pick one up at the thrift store for SUPER cheap OR use a sock for the hat, too.
- I would like to point out that the base of this rustic farmhouse gnome is one of the easiest you can make because it’s actually a sock gnome. The details on this creative gnome are what really make it pop.
- Decorating this little cutie is a lot easier than he looks: hot glue, a button and some raffia – your little details are done. That said, turn it into a spring or summer gnome with a few bright colors and flowers.
- No Spanish moss hanging in your trees? That’s fine! I didn’t have any either but found a this Spanish moss.
How to Make a Woodland Gnome
Below is the written tutorial with step by step instructions for this rustic looking gnome. He’d fit in perfectly with a farmhouse or neutral decor in fall or winter but will work for spring with a colorful sweater or sock.
More Gnome Tutorials You Might Like
- DIY Farmhouse Gnome – Easily our most popular farmhouse gnome–and he’s RIDICULOUSLY simple to make!
- Welcome Sign with Gnome Display Shelf – All your gnomes need to live on a shelf of honor while you’re displaying it.
- Farmhouse Girl Gnome – If you need a cute gnome to keep you company in the kitchen, this cute girl gnome is perfect!
Please Save or Share This Creative Gnome Idea
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite DIY ideas pin board.
Hello! Thank you SO much for all of these gnome tutorials. I have boldly entered my first craft fair! Your easy to follow tutorials have given me the confidence I needed to succeed. I love how simple you make the directions, the step by step pictures, tips and fun ideas. This is the best crafting website – you are literally at the top of my crafting websites! Thank you again so much!