I love this golden snitch necklace so much. It’s a simple Harry Potter jewelry craft for kids or adults. But, more than that, it’s a quick afternoon polymer clay Harry Potter craft idea!
Golden Snitch Necklace
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we have Harry Potter crafts on the brain. There’s just so many fun ideas out there and the kids are having such a good time. I mean, for real, why give that up just because it’s silly?! I don’t think so. As part of that push for fun, I decided to make this easy polymer clay Harry Potter jewelry.
The kids love having a golden snitch necklace they can wear and pretend they caught in a game of quidditch. But, let’s be honest, the most fun is when we all wear them together and they point to mine and say “I made that!” I love it when they’re proud. If you’re ready to catch a golden snitch necklace of your very own, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite Harry Potter crafts board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make Polymer Clay Harry potter Jewelry
- Don’t worry about coating the ball with anything before dipping it in the glitter. The polymer clay is sticky enough to hold all the glitter it needs on the surface. And that glitter is the coolest part of this polymer clay Harry Potter jewelry, so I would not tell you that, if I thought the glitter wouldn’t stick.
- Not happy with how your wings are turning out when you’re working the polymer clay? That’s ok. It took me about 4 tries to make wings I was happy with.
- Do not try to make your wingspan big. Also, make everything smaller than you think it needs to be. Because it’s going to be so awful when you put your necklace on and it’s a choker because your wingspan is from collarbone to collarbone. LOL!
How Do I Make this Golden Snitch Necklace?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 1 small ½ dime sized-ball orange polymer clay
- 1 small ½ dime sized-ball yellow polymer clay
- 1 small ½ dime sized-ball white polymer clay
- 1 small ½ dime sized-ball off-white glitter polymer clay
- Gold glitter
- 2 eye pins
- 2 jump rings
- A small necklace chain
- Clay glaze
- Plier and wire cutters
- Wax Paper
- Combine the orange and yellow polymer clay.
- Roll this now gold clay into a neat ball.
- Roll this ball in the gold glitter. Yeah, just drop it in a cup of glitter or into a zipper bag. Then shake it off and set aside.
- Combine white and off-white polymer clay.
- Break the combined white clay into two equal portions.
- Roll one combined white clay portion into a skinny tube.
- Flatten skinny tube into a wing shape about 2-inches long and ½ inch wide, pointy on one end and rounded on the other.
- Copy the same wing shape using the second combined white clay portion.
- Using the spoon, mark the surface of each wing with thin “feathers”. Mine weren't very deep or very sharp. But I liked it that way. If you want sharper, deeper feathers, you could use a very thin knife.
- Flip the wings and mark the other side with feathers, but be careful not to smash the first side you did.
- Attach the wings to each side of the gold ball. Be gentle and don't force the ball out of shape.
- Trim the eye pins to about 1-inch long.
- Slide an eye pin into each wing end, but be gentle to not smash any part of the wing.
- Seal the snitch with the clay glaze.
- Place the snitch into the oven on wax paper for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow snitch to cool completely.
- Attach a jump ring to each eye pin ring.
- Attach necklace ends to each jump ring.
For more fun Harry Potter craft ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Harry Potter Crafts You Might Like
- Harry Potter Wands – These are simply the most wow-worthy wands you will ever see!
- Harry Potter Mason Jars – I love these mason jars, they’re perfect for gifts, for fun, for everything,
- Harry Potter Rock Painting – If you’re into rock painting and Harry Potter, this is the source for you.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite Harry Potter crafts board on Pinterest.