You can make one or both of these elegant gnome tree topper crafts for trees or shelf sitters using the tinsel trees from the Dollar Tree. Grab your glue gun and let’s make some cute Christmas gnomes!
Dollar Tree Gnome Shelf Sitter or Topper
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, I’m known for gnomes – making gnome crafts for all uses is sort of a hobby of mine. This year, I found some really great options for tree topper forms at the Dollar Tree.
You can get any of the tinsel tree forms which have the plastic tree shape with the horizontal structure bars in them. I’ve seen them in tinsel and in a plastic ribbon – either is fine. You can also find these at craft stores and Dollar General. Let’s get started.
No Time to Make These Now?
Need to run to everyone’s favorite craft supply shop to get some forms? No problem. Share this to your favorite crafting group on Facebook so you can easily find it later. Be sure to join our Facebook group here.
Get Secret Gnomes, Tips, & Freebies Delivered!
What is the best pattern to use when you don't want to sew? Do you know the secrets to a properly-proportioned gnome? Do you know where to get the best-priced fur?
Get all of this (and exclusive content just for you) delivered right to your inbox with the gnome-making series, free of charge. Sign up to get the once-weekly newsletter (and a jaw-dropping special offer)!
If you use gMail or Yahoo, please check the spam or "promotional" folders. Whitelist my email address or reply to the email to ensure delivery of all files. Happy Holidays! - Sarah
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There could be affiliate links within this article.
Tips for Making Elegant Gnome Tree Toppers
Friends, these toppers or shelf sitters look SO high-end. And honestly, I would say it isn’t the technique; the right materials can make all the difference in the world.
- Use Mongolian fur if you can find it. It’s a 3 inch pile faux fur which really elevates any gnome or gnome craft. I buy mine in bulk from Amazon, but you can find smaller cuts on Amazon, Etsy, and even get it cut from the bolt at craft stores.
- Fleece is one of the most forgiving fabrics there is. Use it on these because these don’t have to be exact cuts – no pattern is needed when you can tug on the fabric. :)
- Be sure to use the poster board to cover your form. Even if you don’t clip the nodes off (it did not make even the slightest difference), you will be able to see the form through the fleece without the covering.
- Go slow when cutting the fur and positioning the hat. Those, along with the nose you choose, will give the personality to this piece.
How Do I Make a Gnome Tree Topper?
I’m so glad you asked! Below is my written tutorial but be sure to watch the full gnome tree topper and shelf sitter video tutorial here. I give you options and techniques I can’t possibly share here. Psst: while you’re there, subscribe to the channel.
More Gnome Crafts You Might Like
- Gnome Tree Topper – Did you find a covered tree topper and want to turn it into a gnome? This one’s for you.
- Cone Gnome Family – This is one of my most popular video tutorials because it is easy and looks so very, very nice. Also, they nest for storage!
- Wood Block Gnomes – Featured by Better Homes and Gardens’ Holiday Magazine, these cuties are done in no time and are the perfect rustic or farmhouse gnome.
Please Share or Save This Free Tutorial
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Please consider sharing this to a crafting group on Facebook or save it to a holiday pin board.