I absolutely love these Easter cupcakes with M&Ms–and they’re way easier to make than they seem! Spilled candy cupcakes are totally awesome.
Easter Cupcakes with M&Ms
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are always trying to come up with super fun cupcake decorating ideas. And this Easter cupcake decorating idea? Eeeeepic! It took a bit of thinking and planning, but once the idea firmed-up, I was in total excitement mode. The kiddo, too, because putting these spilled candy cupcakes together was so simple. she took over eventually. Fun times!
And, so what if we stole a couple bites before we were done decorating these cupcakes?! The kid and I were having a good time and that’s the best kind of cupcake, honestly. If you’re ready to make an amazing Easter cupcake, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite easy cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make M&M Spilled Cupcakes
- Let these Easter cupcakes cool completely before frosting them. Warm frosting runs and friends, it’s not pretty.
- If you need a vanilla cupcake recipe, I recommend making our Lazy Girl’s Easy Vanilla Cupcakes. They take less than 30-minutes and use ingredients you likely have on hand. And they are a BIG hit on Pinterest.
- Don’t put too much frosting on the cupcake before you do the whole M&M spilling thing. You’re going to need some frosting for that part, my friends.
- If you’re looking for a dairy-free option, you can use Skittles candies instead of M&Ms and get the exact same result. So cute.
How Do I Make Easter Cupcakes with M&Ms?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 Vanilla Cupcakes made from your favorite recipe
- 1 can Vanilla Frosting
- 12 Fun Size Easter M&M’s
- 12 Dowel Rods or Cake Pop Sticks (about 6 inches long)
- Bake your cupcakes per your favorite recipe. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Lightly ice each cupcake with a smooth top.
- Cut a small corner off of each M&M's candy bag and remove the candy. Set aside.
- Insert a dowel rod or cake pop stick into each cupcake, located toward one side, but not so close to the edge that it won't stand up well. Place one of your empty M&Ms candy bags on the cake pop stick and mark (with a bit of icing) where the bag's opening starts. Once marked, remove the M&M bag and set aside.
- Coat the cake pop stick with icing from the mark down to the cupcake frosting on all sides.
- Stack M&M candies butted up against the dowel/cake pop stick, starting from the bottom working your way up. Then add a small pile of M&M’s on the top of the cupcake.
- Slip the M&M bags back onto the top of the cake pop sticks and enjoy!.
For more fun cupcake decorating ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 491 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 59mg Sodium: 286mg Carbohydrates: 74g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 60g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Easter Cupcake Ideas You Might Like
- Digging Bunny Cupcakes – This is the cutest little bunny butt cupcakes. And they’re so simple to make–although you might find the kiddo sneaking tastes before you’re done!
- Bunny Ear Cupcakes – I love these easy Easter cupcakes. They’re almost 100% kid-made cupcakes. So sweet and adorable.
- Carrot Cupcakes – Super creamy and absolutely scrumptious, I love these simple carrot cupcakes and their minimal design!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite easy desserts board on Pinterest.