This gorgeous boho steer skull craft is what you need to add to your current bohemian or farmhouse-style home decor. With its muted palette and homemade chalkboard paint, this faux skull will fit perfectly in your current decor.
Our plastic version of this craft can cost anywhere from $1 to $5, depending on what supplies you have in your craft bin at home. You can save up to hundreds of dollars by making your own skull rather than buying one online or in a store.
RELATED READING: Quick DIY Wood Bead Pumpkin Craft
What You'll Find On This Page
Faux Boho Steer Skull
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, it is no secret that we love the farmhouse and boho home decor style. We have used the gentle colored pallets and minimalistic look to decorate with for years.
We fell in love with the steer skull as a decorative addition since we learned the meaning behind it. One culture believes the skull represents protection from the natural elements while another believes it stands for strength, agility, courage, and tenacity.
If you need time to gather your supplies for this craft, bookmark this page to make it easy when you are ready to make this pretty faux cow skull.
As an Amazon Associate, I could earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links in this article.
Why This Is Such a Great Boho Craft Idea
Cost alone should have you running to the store to find yourself a plastic steer skull! We found ours at Hobby Lobby for just $1. That is certainly a good jumping spot for a beautifully crafted piece of artwork for your home.
So quick to make it is ridiculous! We made our decorative skull in well under 30 minutes and that includes time for making and drying time for the chalkboard paint. We definitely love a craft we don’t spend an entire afternoon putting together.
The aesthetic of the decorated skull is just what any home decor needs! We chose a muted dusty rose and winter white to be compatible with virtually any decor. You can use any color palette you want to match your own home.
A craft that is kid-friendly to make. Even the younger kids can help make the chalkboard paint and use it on the skull. An adult may need to help out with the hot glue gun, but older kids can accomplish the entire craft on their own.
RELATED READING: DIY Terra Cotta Paint Pumpkin (You’ll LOVE the Texture)
Tips for Making a Boho Faux Cow Skull
- Using fine-grit sandpaper to lightly sand the skull will help the paint “grip” onto the plastic steer skull. Otherwise, you may find the paint peeling shortly after.
- We suggest using rubbing alcohol and a clean towel, either paper or microfiber to clean the skull prior to painting. This ensures all grease and oils from dust, dirt, and fingerprints are eliminated.
- Making the chalkboard paint at home is super simple. You need to combine 1 ounce of craft paint (we used white) and 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Add them to a small bowl and stir until well mixed. Now you are ready to paint.
- You could also use dried flowers as well as faux greenery for this project. We do suggest gently wrapping the skull decorated with dried flowers in bubble wrap if you ever move. This should sufficiently protect your flowers.
Supplies for the Steer Skull Craft
Below are the supplies we used to make a boho faux cow skull. Check your craft stash before heading to the store. For information on cleaning the plastic skull, see the tips section above.
- Plastic steer skull
- White craft paint
- Baking soda
- Silk or dried flowers
- Foam paintbrush
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Fine sandpaper
- Paper towel
- Rubbing alcohol
How to Make This Cow Skull Decor
Below are the step by step instructions on how I created this easy boho cow skull. I chose to make it more of a soft western craft idea, however, decorate with anything you have on hand. Sunflowers would be a great addition for summer!
Using fine sandpaper, lightly sand the plastic skull.
Using rubbing alcohol, wipe the plastic skull.
Using baking soda, make the “chalkboard” paint (see the tips section above). This easy boho craft idea can be made with ANY paint, however.
Coat the entire front of the skull with an even layer of paint, allowing it to dry completely.
Choose your flowers, and arrange them without gluing until you are satisfied with the design.
Once you are ready, hot glue the flowers in place. Allow the glue to harden and it’s ready to hang!
Notes for Making a Plastic Steer Skull
- We recommend either a white or off-white acrylic paint color for this project. Of course, use the colors that will match your decor the best.
- You can store your homemade chalkboard paint for up to one year in an air-tight container. If the mixture has thickened, simply add a bit of water to thin it out so it is the appropriate consistency for painting.
- To add a “stippled” effect on your skull, you can use a foam brush and dab the paint rather than painting in the traditional manner of using brush strokes.
- We do not recommend using craft glue for this project. If you prefer not to use a hot glue gun, we suggest using something stronger like E6000 or Gorilla Glue.
More Farmhouse Crafts You May Enjoy
- Anchor Coastal Farmhouse Sign: This cute nautical sign is perfect for a beginner Cricut or Silhouette crafter. You get the free font and anchor file to create this coastal-themed design.
- Farmhouse Shadow Box Cricut Craft: You can make this easy shadow box in minutes with limited and simple materials. You can use the free font we provide or feel free to make your own in Design Space.
- Easy Farmhouse Gnome Pattern: We are just in love with this adorable “Nisse Tomte Tomtnisse” style Nordic gnome with its farmhouse buffalo check hat.
Please Save or Share
Your shares are how this site grows and I sincerely appreciate it. Please save this easy Boho DIY to your favorite farmhouse-style craft board or share it on Facebook.