If you’re looking to make an easy and fun birthday cupcake, these surprise cupcakes are perfect. They’re simple, but the result is just stunning and fun!
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are more than a little obsessed with making cupcakes. Not only are they the perfect conveyance device for frosting (much like a chip for dip, for example), but they are also an awesome conveyance for one of my other favorite things: Sprinkles.
One of the best things to do in any situation is, in all honesty, to find more ways to incorporate sprinkles. And that’s what these surprise cupcakes do. They’re just chock-full of sprinkles (the surprise, get it?!) and for that, I’m super excited. If you’re ready to be excited about an easy-to-make cupcake, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Birthday Cupcakes
- Start with your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe. If you’re anything like me, you definitely need a “no-fail” cupcake in your life, so I always fall back on my Lazy Girl cupcakes. Done right every time–as long as you can follow a basic recipe.
- If your heart is just set on it, you can make a cream cheese frosting, sure. But the best, most light and fluffy frosting you can pipe with a decorating bag is this awesome homemade buttercream in this recipe, with confectioners sugar and all the sprinkles you could ever dream of.
- Always always always let your cupcakes cool to room temperature before you frost them because warm frosting is no fun. Particularly when you’re turning them upside down to dip them in sprinkles. You’re just asking for the frosting to just drop off on the counter then. LOL!
- If you’re digging this idea, but you’re like “I’m not making cupcakes that need a pink top and pink sprinkles! This is ridiculously pink!” you just first need to give me a pass because I have a kiddo that just loves all things pink like me. So, there’s that. But also, keep in mind that there are 9 million awesome options for filling surprise cupcakes. Some of my favorite are:
- Gold Star Sprinkles for a team win!
- Mickey Sprinkles for a Mouse-in-the-House party.
- Dinosaur Sprinkles with the green and rawr and the stomp, stomp, stomp!
- Superhero Sprinkles in the colors of your favorite Marvel or DC heroes and heroines.
- Blue Ombre Sprinkles for a fun boy-o party!
- Mermaid Sprinkles for an under the sea party.
- Galaxy Sprinkles for the most amazing out of this world party!
How Do I Make this Surprise Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 of your favorite vanilla cupcakes
- For the frosting:
- 3 sticks softened butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Pink food coloring
- Make cupcakes according to your favorite recipe. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before moving on.
- Using a cupcake corer or a large decorating tip, create a well in the center of each cupcake but DO NOT DISCARD THE CENTERS.
- Place 1 tablespoon of sprinkles (or other surprise) in the center of each cupcake, and then replace each cupcake center on top.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter until light and fluffy with no lumps.
- While mixing at low speed, add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time.
- Pour in the vanilla and heavy cream and continue to mix for 3-4 minutes.
- Place frosting into a piping bag with a large round tip and pipe a generous dollop of frosting on top of each cupcake.
- Pour the sprinkles into a cereal bowl, then dip the top of each of the cupcakes into the sprinkles, gently rolling it until the frosting is covered completely with sprinkles.
- Add a few drops of pink food coloring to the remaining frosting and place in a piping bag with a star tip.
- Pipe a small amount of pink frosting on top of each cupcake and enjoy!
For more fun cupcake decorating ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 68mg Sodium: 200mg Carbohydrates: 50g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 48g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Easy Cupcake Ideas You Might Like
- Heath Bar Cupcakes – If you love chocolate and toffee coming together in symphony, this awesome cupcake is your jam!
- Cookies and Cream Cupcakes – I love having cookies with my cupcakes. I mean, not always, but when they’re combined like this, I’m in.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes – This amazingly yummy cupcake recipe sounds so basic, but the truth is that the results are a symphony on your tongue!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite cupcake ideas board on Pinterest.