Because it’s my favorite and I can’t resist temptation (no control here), I made these easy 10-minute salted caramel hot cocoa bombs. So good, it’s sinful!
Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Bombs
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we have a secret love that you’ll never guess (ok, you probably do know, since I already told you, but whatever, just play along). I love LOVE love salted caramel hot chocolate. It’s not a treat I indulge in frequently, but when I do, I literally savor every single sip. So, when the craving struck this weekend, I took to the kitchen to make some salted caramel hot cocoa bombs for a fun treat that afternoon – and a few more for later this week!
And that right there is the best part about figuring out how to make hot cocoa bombs – they store REALLY well, so you can make them for a treat that you can easily gift or save for yourself for another day. If you’re ready to make some fast and fun salted caramel hot chocolate bombs, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite easy hot cocoa bomb recipes board on Pinterest and it’ll be here when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Bombs
- If you can manage it, I strongly recommend making your homemade hot cocoa bombs using melting chocolate as opposed to regular chocolate chips. Not only do the candy melts have a tendency to more smoothly, but if you’re wanting to make colorful hot cocoa bombs, the candy melts are already colored, eliminating all of that fuss. So, grab some melting chocolate like this and make your salted caramel hot chocolate bombs quick.
- I thought it would be wise to make sure the caramels more likely to dissolve and NOT choke anyone when they’re drinking the cocoa. So, I decided to go with soft caramel candies like these. You can certainly make these salted caramel hot chocolate bombs with the hard caramel candies, but I didn’t want to risk that they might not melt and getting all chokey.
- When you’re ready to use your salted caramel cocoa bombs, put your bomb in a coffee much, separately heating your milk and pouring it over the bomb. The hot cocoa bomb will float up and actually “explode” as the chocolate melts!
How Do I Make Salted Caramel Hot Cocoa Bombs?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 2 cups Chocolate Candy Melts
- 2 cups Hot Chocolate Mix
- 6 Large Marshmallows
- ¼ cup Caramel Sauce
- 12 Caramel Candies
- 1 tbsp Coarse Ground Salt
- Melt the chocolate candy melts per the directions on the package. Stir them until very smooth and shiny.
- Place about 1 tbsp of the melted chocolate into one mold-half, using the rounded bottom of the spoon to move the chocolate up to coat the sides of the mold, making a thick and even coating. Repeat with all of the mold halves.
- Put the chocolate coated bomb molds into your freezer for 5 minutes.
- While that's chilling, put the remaining melted chocolate into a piping bag or zipper bag with a tiny corner cut off. Set aside.
- Cut the caramel candies into small pieces with a lightly oiled knife. Set aside.
- Remove the chilled molds from the freezer and gently peel the mold away from the chocolate.
- Fill half of the molds with about 1 tbsp of the hot chocolate mix, 1 marshmallow and 1 tbsp caramel sauce.
- Cover the bottom of a plate with water and microwave it for 30 seconds, warming the plate bottom. Dry the plate completely.
- Press the rim of one of the empty bomb halves onto the center of the plate for about 10 seconds. This will melt the rim of the chocolate cup gently enough to not melt the whole cup, but enough to help seal the two halves of the chocolate balls together.
- Immediately press the warmed and slightly melted edge of the chocolate cup to the top edge of one of the cups you filled with the hot cocoa mix. You can add more chocolate around the edge, if desired.
- Drizzle the melted candy melts that are in your piping bag all over the hot cocoa bombs then immediately sprinkle the coarse ground salt on top of them. Add 5-6 pieces of caramel candies and press them into the chocolate gently.
- Return the hot cocoa bombs to your freezer for 5 minutes to set the chocolate, then remove and place in an airtight container until use.
- To use your hot cocoa bombs, place the cocoa bomb into a mug and pour about 2 cups of hot milk over the top and enjoy!
For more fun hot cocoa bomb recipes, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. For a full policy on partner links, visit our policy page.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1127Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 2292mgCarbohydrates: 220gFiber: 7gSugar: 186gProtein: 16g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
More Easy Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipes You Might Like
- Peppermint Hot Cocoa Bombs – If you love salted caramel, chances are peppermint hot cocoa is probably high on your list, too!
- Unicorn Hot Cocoa Bombs – One of the most fun hot chocolate bombs you can make, this one is shaped like a unicorn and so easy, too!
- Lego Man Hot Cocoa Bombs – Absolutely one of the most fun shaped hot cocoa bomb you can make, this lego hot cocoa bomb is so fun, the kiddo is still giggling about it.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite hot chocolate recipes board on Pinterest.