I am over the moon in love with this modern wooden nutcracker craft. This elegant design will never go out of style and it’s clear to see why – this Christmas DIY will fit in seamlessly with any decor, from farmhouse to modern.
The basic rule of thumb with my holiday decor is everything should be beautifully practical or simple. This nutcracker Christmas craft is gorgeous simplicity at its finest.
RELATED READING: Rustic Cinnamon Stick Santa Christmas Ornament Craft
Modern Painted Christmas Nutcracker
Here are Ruffles and Rain Boots we are slightly enamored with Farmhouse and rustic decor. This is especially true around the holidays. As a result, we’re always on the lookout for a cute, fun, and easy primitive craft project.
Folklore has it that a Nutcracker, which originated in Germany, was placed in a house to keep it safe and keep peace within it. Because he is so handsome, this guy would look perfect on a fireplace mantle.
If the kids are home on winter break and are making it known they are bored, a Christmas nutcracker craft for kids with mom is just what they need. So, kids from preschool and up can help with this project. Younger kids will need help with removing the drum and using the hot glue gun.
No time to Make This Now? Save or Share for Later.
As an Amazon Associate, I could earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within this article.
Tips for Making a Rustic Christmas Nutcracker
- Instead of making a wreath, you can leave the drums and drumsticks attached to the wood nutcracker. From there you can include them in your painting to give your Nutcracker a traditional look.
- Change up this craft by using several different paints to create a uniform for the Nutcracker, giving it a more traditional look.
- A whitewashed appearance like our Nutcracker craft is easy to achieve. Just add 2 teaspoons of water to 1 tablespoon of paint. Paint 1-2 coats to achieve this look.
Supplies to Make a Nutcracker Soldier
If you’re not removing the drum and sticks, you won’t need some of these supplies. For a more rustic look, use a small chip brush and make sweeping motions when painting.
- Unfinished nutcracker (Amazon or Michaels; 12” size)
- White paint
- Foam brush
- Wire pine stems
- Red and white ribbon (5/8″)
- Hot glue gun
- Sandpaper (60 grit)
- Wood Filler
Each step is detailed below to make this easy to follow. Keep this page open while you are creating your modern wooden nutcracker Christmas DIY. If you would prefer to work from a printable set of instructions, scroll down and select the print button.
Step 1: Remove any unwanted pieces, like the drum and drumsticks.
Step 2: Use the sandpaper and smooth away any dried glue.
Step 3: Apply wood filler to any open holes and gaps that held the drum and drumsticks.
Step 4: Cover the wooden nutcracker with the white paint. We recommend 1-2 coats of paint or whitewash (watered down paint).
Step 5: Create a wreath approximately 2.5-3” wide. Roughly measure the width between your Nutcracker’s hands.
Step 6: Tie a small bow with the ribbon.
Step 7: Carefully use the hot glue gun, and attach the wreath to the hands of the Nutcracker.
More Elegant Christmas Craft Ideas You May Like:
- Easy DIY Christmas Eve Candle: Help Santa find his way to your home with this simple Christmas craft DIY. It is a fun craft idea to make for gifts too.
- Dollar Tree Duster Wreath: This simple Farmhouse style Christmas craft project is as easy as it is inexpensive. Because it is so chic, you are going to want to make one for yourself and one…or two to give away.
- Dollar Tree Farmhouse Bell Ornament: Our jingle bell holiday craft idea is fun, quick, and oh-so-adorable. As a result, your friends are going to want a few for themselves.
Love This Easy DIY for Christmas? Save or Share It for Others
Your shares are how this site grows and I sincerely appreciate them and you. Please save this to your favorite Christmas or Farmhouse craft pin board or share it on Facebook to a crafty group or your timeline.