These pinwheel cupcakes are so cute, as soon as I had the idea, I had to make them. And they’re just such an easy party cupcake decorating idea.
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are a little bit in love with coming up with new ideas for the perfect party cupcakes for any occasion. No jokes, one of our favorite holidays is July 4th–and the party wouldn’t be complete without some fun patriotic cupcakes to grace our table!
So, strap in, because these pinwheel cupcakes are both patriotic and easy–which is sooooo awesome. Let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite patriotic cupcakes board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
Tips to Make these Patriotic Cupcakes
- Definitely start with your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe. I love our Lazy Girl’s Cupcakes because they’re super simple and bake in just about the amount of time necessary to make some pinwheels. I like to multitask, what can I say?!
- Don’t try to rush the cupcakes. Only frost them after they’ve cooled COMPLETELY. Warm frosting is no good unless you want to watch it slide right off the top.
How Do I Make Pinwheel Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial. If you’re making a July 4th food ideas playlist on YouTube, here is our patriotic pinwheel cupcakes video tutorial.
- 6 Prepared Cupcakes (click here for our vanilla cupcake recipe)
- White Frosting (we used vanilla)
- Patriotic Sprinkles
- Patriotic Papers
- Patriotic Cupcake Liners
- 6 Paper Fasteners (brads)
- 6 Cake Pop Sticks
- Hot Glue Gun
- Prepare your cupcakes. We used our easy vanilla cupcake recipe for these.
- To make the pinwheels: Cut six 2.5-inch by 2.5-inch paper squares. Mark with a pencil in the middle of one square, then cut diagonally from each corner toward this center mark, leaving a small section uncut. This small section of uncut area is super important--but it doesn't have to be very big, just a half-inch or a quarter-inch will do. Fold the right corner of each triangle toward the center and hot glue each section on the end. Once all 4 corners are glued, push a paper fastener through the middle and close the back.
- Glue on a cake pop stick and let dry.
- Place your frosting into your piping bag with a large star tip, or similar and frost each cupcake. Sprinkle each cupcake with the patriotic sprinkles. Place a pinwheel in each cupcake.
For more awesome 4th of July food ideas, visit RufflesandRainBoots.com
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 471 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 376mg Carbohydrates: 66g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 50g Protein: 4g
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More 4th of July Food Ideas You Might Like
- The BEST 4th of July Food Ideas Around – If you’re on the hook for doing all the things for the big patriot-party, you’re in luck.
- July 4th Popcorn Balls – I made these some time ago, but they remain on my list of “must haves” for every July 4th barbecue.
- Flag Cupcakes – If you want the kids to make their own cupcakes for the holiday, these candy flag cupcakes are done in minutes.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite 4th of July food ideas board on Pinterest.