I decided to make a simple, no-sew mitten ornament for a quick and easy holiday centerpiece. I’m in love with this primitive Christmas ornament and want more!
No-Sew Mitten Ornament
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are all about the meaningful handmade gift this year. Something about being home, having time and then also just wanting to connect with my friends and family has me all charged-up to make things for them. So, I have a friend that has a primitive Christmas tree theme and I thought why not gift her a handmade primitive mitten ornament?!
This is such an easy and fun holiday craft and so versatile too. Grab your glue gun and let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite Christmas crafts board on Pinterest and it’ll be here when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Primitive Christmas Ornament
- Start by grabbing the free printable mitten ornament template here. You can whip out a ton of these easy primitive ornaments super fast with this template, using it to make these into gift decorations, tree ornaments or even gifts!
- Definitely take care when selecting the print on your mittens. I wanted a primitive look so I went for a rustic check. This was perfect for the friend who I’m gifting this to. But if I were making a Scandinavian mitten version, I would want to use a sold red or sage, maybe even a fair isle print. So, just think about that before grabbing your fabric.
- If you wanted to turn this no-sew mitten pattern into a sewn pattern, just follow the hem lines and hem the pieces right-side to right-side. Once that’s done, turn the mitten right-side-out and add your cuff. It will have a different look, but it will be pretty, too.
How Do I Make this No-Sew Mitten Ornament?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 1/4 yard fabric of choice
- Microfiber cloth (or other fuzzy material)
- Small bells
- Brown chalk paint (if no chalk paint, acrylic mixed with baking powder)
- Printable Pattern
- Fabric scissors
- Paint brush
- Hot glue gun & glue
- Print and cut out the template.
- Fold your fabric in half, then trace the template onto the folded fabric and cut this out. This will give you two cutouts that match-up on the fold line of your fabric.
- Turn the pieces right-side-to-right-side and hot glue the edges all the way around the mitten shape, with the exception of the wrist opening - leave that, we'll seal it later.
- Fill the mitten with a little bit of polyfill, giving the mitten shape.
- Cut a 6-8 inch length of twine and hot glue both ends to one side of the inside edge of the mitten.
- Hot glue the wrist opening of the mitten closed.
- Cut a 5-inch by 2-inch piece of your microfiber trim cloth.
- Wrap this trim cloth around the wrist of the mitten and hot glue it in place.
- Paint two bells with the brown chalk paint and allow the paint to dry completely.
- Tie a bow of twine onto the wrist of your mitten, hot gluing it in place, then glue the bells onto the center of your twine bow and hang on the tree!
For more fun holiday crafts, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. For a full policy on partner links, visit our policy page.
More DIY Christmas Ornaments You Might Like
- DIY Farm Truck Ornament – I love making easy felt ornaments and this simple craft makes a great gift idea, too!
- Hot Cocoa Felt Ornament – You can whip up this simple hot cocoa ornament in just a few mintues without a stitch of sewing.
- Simple Santa and Mrs. Claus Ornaments – Turning a tiny terra cotta pot into the cutest holiday couple? Perfect activity for a holiday break with the kiddo!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite DIY Christmas ornaments board on Pinterest.