This mini mushroom gnome is made in just a few minutes using a staple from the dollar store. A little polymer clay, a bit of fur, and he’s ready!
Follow the quick written or video tutorial to put together this adorable guy that has taken all the gnome groups by storm. Psst: there’s a surprise, too.
RELATED READING: Easy Fabric Mushroom Gnome (Glue or Sew DIY)
What You'll Find On This Page
Mini Mushroom Gnome
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we scour the dollar stores for craft ideas, blanks, and supplies. Recently, I created this little forest gnome from one of the Spring mushrooms from the Dollar Tree and couldn’t help but snicker.
Get Secret Gnomes, Tips, & Freebies Delivered!
What is the best pattern to use when you don’t want to sew? Do you know the secrets to a properly-proportioned gnome? Do you know where to get the best-priced fur?
Get all of this (and exclusive content just for you) delivered right to your inbox with the gnome-making series, free of charge. Sign up to get the once-weekly newsletter (and a jaw-dropping special offer)!
He’s the most… naked gnome I’ve ever made and, frankly, he looks like he’s enjoying it. If you’re ready to make a little gnome mushroom who revels in his connection with nature, let’s get started.
And just so you’re forewarned: I added a bit of a surprise (it’s G-rated) under the beard. It’s an option gnome DIY, but it’s pretty funny on the off-chance someone looks.
RELATED READING: Mushroom Cap Gnome – This Is SO Popular!
No Time to Make Dollar Tree Mushroom Gnome Now? Save or Share It
If you’re gathering ideas or need to check your craft supplies, use the sharing buttons to make this easy to find when you’re ready to begin. Save this to your favorite gnome ideas pin board or share it with a crafty group on Facebook.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases. There could be affiliate links within this article.
DIY Ceramic Mushroom (The Easy Version)
If you want to use a ceramic blank to make a cute mini mushroom gnome, it’s SO easy. Paint (using a sponge) to get a really cool texture on the edges of the mushroom. Add hot glue “gills,” a wood ball for a nose, a moss brim along the bottom, and create a beard.
And if you’re a visual learner, I created a simple ceramic mushroom gnome video tutorial here. It’s less involved than the polymer clay version below and is a great use of a craft store staple.
Tips to Make a Gnome Mushroom
- Start with one of the little ceramic gnomes from the Dollar Tree. I’ve also shared a craft store mushroom (all white) above. Keep your eye out all year long – they show up in Spring and Fall.
- I like to work with soft polymer clay like this, so it doesn’t tire my hands out. It makes it easy to sculpt fine lines like the back-end split and the mushroom stalk texture into the clay.
- If you have never worked with faux fur, check out my quick video on how to cut faux fur to get it explained in detail. Basically, you only cut the fabric backing, so cut it with an X-Acto knife from the back side.
- Additions like butterflies or bees are perfect for these cuties, but so is a green moss. You can add it between the toes, on the mushroom cap, or along the bottom as I show above.
How to Make This Ceramic Mushroom Gnome DIY
Below is the written tutorial. If you’re a visual learner, watch the mini mushroom gnome video tutorial. You can see how easily the little feet are formed – even if you’re new to polymer clay!
More DIY Gnomes You Might Like
- Scandinavian Farmhouse Gnome – He’s squishy, beautiful and he’s super easy to make. This easy gnome pattern has two methods – sewn and no-sew!
- Mini Farmhouse Kissing Gnomes – Tackle making mini gnomes that kiss all day long because they’re just so cute – they can’t keep their hands off each other!
- Elegant Bee Gnome Pattern – Buzzing into your life, this is one of the most beautiful gnomes I’ve made and he’s stung me with a desire for more!
Please Save or Share This Fun Gnome Craft Idea
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Please share this on Facebook or save it to your favorite DIY crafts pin board.