I love a fun gift idea and these Cinco de Mayo hot cocoa bombs are a great way to bring a smile to a friend’s face!
Cinco de Mayo Hot Cocoa Bombs
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we get hyped-up about ever holiday or event ever. So when a friend of mine lamented that she wasn’t going to be able to celebrate Cinco de Mayo this year with her family, I thought…well, I could give her a little fun ding-dong-dash gift of some Cinco de Mayo hot cocoa bombs!
Fast and easy to make, these easy hot chocolate bombs make a yummy hot cocoa that much more fun. Grab your car green sprinkles and let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite DIY cocoa bombs board on Pinterest and it’ll be here when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs for Cinco de Mayo
- I just decided you can’t ever make hot cocoa bombs with regular chocolate chips – especially not white chocolate chips. They’re just terribly difficult, getting super lumpy when you want just need them to melt and be smooth – they’re awful. Instead, I recommend using candy melts. They’re made for exactly this type of melting and molding activity. So, just grab a bag of melting discs like this. While you’re at it, grab a bag of red, too, so you can do the drizzle super fast and easy too.
- The one thing I think I might do differently, if I made these hot cocoa bombs for Cinco de Mayo next year, I would add some cactus sprinkles like these. They’re really cute (I’ve had them before) but I just couldn’t find any in my pantry, so green jimmies it was!
- When you’re ready for a big ‘ole mug of hot cocoa, just drop a bomb into a big mug, then warm-up enough milk in a second cup to fill the mug. Pour that hot milk over the bomb and it will float, open and “explode”!
How Do I Make Cinco de Mayo Hot Cocoa Bombs?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 2 cups white candy melts
- 1/2 cup red candy melts
- 6 tbsp hot cocoa powder
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- Green jimmies sprinkles
- Place the white candy melts in the microwave in a microwave-safe bowl and melt per the package directions.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of melted chocolate to 12 of the mold cavities, using the back of the spoon to work it up and around each of the molds, then place the mold into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the mold from the freezer and gently peel the silicon mold away from the candy half-spheres.
- Fill 6 of the candy half-spheres with 1 tablespoon cocoa mix and 6-10 mini marshmallows (as many as will reasonably fit).
- Warm a small plate in the microwave until it's warm to the touch.
- Place one empty half sphere upside down on the heated plate to slightly melt the candy coated edge, then immediately place it on the top of a filled half-sphere. The melted candy should seal the two halves together, but if not, you can use your finger to add a little additional chocolate at the seam.
- Place the red candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl and melt per the package directions then place the melted candy in a zipper-top bag. Snip off the corner a little and drizzle the red candy over each of the cocoa bombs, and immediately add the green sprinkles.
- To serve, place a cocoa bomb into a mug, then pour hot milk over the cocoa bomb and enjoy!
For more fun hot cocoa bomb recipes, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. For a full policy on partner links, visit our policy page.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 39mgCarbohydrates: 100gFiber: 1gSugar: 63gProtein: 1g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
More Easy Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipes You Might Like
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Hot Cocoa Bombs – The perfect little cherry covered treat with a bit of chocolate that is just beautiful in every way!
- Winnie the Pooh Hot Chocolate Bombs – A little hunny, a bizzy little bee and Winnie enjoying a cup of hot cocoa – it’s a wonderful world!
- Bunny Butt Hot Cocoa Bombs – Not even kidding, these are my most popular hot cocoa bomb recipe and they’re absolutely cute as a button and worth checking out!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite drink recipes board on Pinterest.