This recipe for Mexican chocolate hot cocoa bombs is one of the most deliciously dark and rich hot chocolate bomb recipes with a spicy twist you’ll LOVE!
Mexican Chocolate Hot Cocoa Bombs
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we have seriously become the hot cocoa bomb connoisseur. I mean, hot cocoa was fun before, but with all of the options, the fun ways to make different recipes. It’s a whole new world I didn’t even contemplate before. So, I decided to try my hand at a flavor I’d only heard about before. And these Mexican hot cocoa bombs are amazing.
They’re rich, decadent and have this fun little twist that is just perfect on a chilly day to warm you RIGHT UP. No joking, this is a recipe that will knock your socks off. If you’re ready to make a Mexican hot cocoa bomb with the best spicy twist, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite easy drink recipes board on Pinterest and it’ll be here when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Mexican Hot Chocolate Bombs
- All the cool kids (just kidding, it’s me, I’m calling myself the ‘cool kids’) are skipping the chocolate chips to make their hot cocoa bombs with chocolate candy melts. Chocolate chips are just notoriously finnicky, going lumpy when you want them to be smooth and just not staying melted for long enough to work with them. Candy melts are my preferred material because they’re made for exactly this kind of action. So, just grab a bag of melting discs like this.
- What makes Mexican hot cocoa bombs special is the addition of a little spice in the way of some cheyenne pepper. But it’s more than JUST spiciness. There’s also a subtle hint of cinnamon. So, I decided to jazz my experience up by adding yummy cinnamon churro marshmallows to get me over into that really rich territory.
- When it’s time for a mug of hot chocolate, just add your Mexican hot chocolate bombs into a mug, then heat-up enough milk to fill the mug (about 2 cups) and pour it directly over the bomb. It’ll float, open and “explode”!
How Do I Make this Mexican Chocolate Hot Cocoa Bombs?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 2 cups Chocolate Candy Melts
- 1 cup Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 6 Cinnamon Churro Marshmallows
- 6 tbsp Chocolate Curls/Shavings
Mexican Spice Mix:
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices together to make the Mexican spice mix, stirring until well combined. Set aside.
- Put the candy melts into a microwave-safe bowl and melt until smooth in the microwave per the package directions.
- Add about 1 tbsp of the melted chocolate into one of the mold cavities and, with the bottom of your spoon, move the chocolate around to cover the sides of the mold in a thick but even coat. Repeat coating all 12 bomb molds.
- Place the coated molds in the freezer for about 5 minutes then remove them from the freezer and gently peel the silicone away from the chocolate, releasing the chocolate cups.
- Fill 6 of the chocolate cups with 1 tbsp hot cocoa mix, 1 tsp Mexican spice combination, and 1 cinnamon churro marshmallow.
- Warm a plate in the microwave for about 45 seconds or until the plate is warm. Press one of the empty chocolate cups open-side-down onto the warmed plate to gently melt the rim. Immediately place the warmed chocolate cup on top of one of the filled chocolate cups to join the cocoa bomb halves.
- With the remaining chocolate, use a piping bag or a fork to add a drizzle over the assembled hot cocoa bombs then immediately dust them with cocoa powder.
- Add a dollop of melted chocolate on top of the cocoa bombs and follow by placing a tablespoon of chocolate curls/shreds on top of the dollop.
- To get the chocolate to set, place the hot cocoa bombs in the freezer for about 5 minutes, then remove and store in an airtight container until use.
- To use the hot cocoa bombs, place them in a mug and pour 2 cups hot milk over the top. Stir until the hot cocoa bombs are completely melted and enjoy!
For more fun hot cocoa bomb recipes, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. For a full policy on partner links, visit our policy page.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 676Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 436mgCarbohydrates: 105gFiber: 6gSugar: 84gProtein: 10g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
More Easy Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipes You Might Like
- White Chocolate Hot Cocoa Bombs – Such a fun and, honestly gorgeous, hot chocolate bomb with white chocolate and a raspberry. Perfecting in a round.
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Hot Cocoa Bombs – Think ‘bon bon’ but in a mug. So delicious, creamy and downright yummy.
- Strawberry Hot Cocoa Bombs – Strawberry milk has never been this fantastic – and it’s piping hot so, kind of the best thing ever.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite easy hot cocoa bomb recipes board on Pinterest.