The kiddo wanted to try dragonfruit–but she also wanted a “fun summer cupcake”. I was stumped until I came up with these awesome dragonfruit cupcakes! So easy and fun!
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we adore having this extra time to make things with the kiddo and indulge her in some curiosity that we maybe didn’t have time for before. One of those things is “exploring new foods” we have had dragonfruit before–but maybe not often enough because the kiddo was asking what it was. But she also wanted to make some cupcakes
So, I decided to combine the curiosity and indulge in a cupcake. I mean, why not?! So, if you’re ready to make a moist cupcake with a twist, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Summer Cupcakes with Dragonfruit
- Let these easy dragonfruit cupcakes cool completely on the counter before you try frosting them. Warm frosting runs and friends, and this frosting is yummy, but you also want it to be pretty.
- If you have a “favorite way of making vanilla cupcakes” start there. But if you don’t already have a go-to cupcake recipe, I recommend making our Lazy Girl’s Easy Vanilla Cupcakes. They take less than 30-minutes and use ingredients you likely have on hand.
- If your heart is just set on it, you can make a cream cheese frosting, sure. But the best, most light and fluffy frosting you can pipe with a decorating bag is this awesome homemade buttercream in this recipe, with confectioners sugar and some dragonfruit mixed in to make a fun pop with those seeds and the flavor you’re gonna love.
How Do I Make Dragonfruit Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- Batter for 12 of your favorite vanilla cupcakes
- 12 tbsp dragonfruit (pink or white meat is fine)
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp dragonfruit
- Pink gel food coloring
- Bake your cupcake batter per the directions in the recipe. When you pour your batter into your cupcake tins, only fill each halfway, then add a tablespoon of dragonfruit meat, then finish filling with the remainder of the batter. Bake per your recipe. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating.
- To make the frosting, cream together butter, sugar and milk until light and fluffy to make your buttercream frosting. If your buttercream is too thin, add powdered sugar 1 tbsp at a time. If it is too thick, add more milk, ½ tbsp at a time.
- Add in the dragonfruit meat and 4-5 drops of pink food coloring then fold it in well.
- Scoop the frosting into a decorating bag with large open round tip then ice each cupcake in a big swirl.
- If desired, add a slice of dragonfruit to the top and enjoy!
For more fun summer cupcake decorating ideas, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 0g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Summer Cupcake Decorating Ideas You Might Like
- Flamingo Cupcakes – Epic summer parties are always started with a fun flamingo cupcake! I love this easy tutorial!
- Beach Cupcakes – These cupcakes are perfect for making a real splash at a summer party. So fun and simple–the kids will love making them with you.
- Lemonade Cupcakes – Every summer begins with a tall glass of lemonade. Turning that feeling and flavor on it’s head to make a cupcake? Summer perfeciton.
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest.