These ham and cheese pinwheels are easy to make and fun to eat. They’re a perfect option for a picky eater’s lunch box. Let’s get started.
Ham and Cheese Pinwheels – Perfect Back to School Lunch Idea!
Getting the kids into the kitchen to help with preparing school lunches is a great idea to actually get them to eat their lunch.
When our daughter started school, it was a struggle because she would:
- socialize during lunch
- nibble on her lunch (always the easy-to-eat vegetables or fruit)
- be ravishing when she came home
I began having her help me prepare her lunches and when we made fun lunch ideas like these pinwheels, she actually ate her lunch!
Ingredients for Easy Pinwheels
This recipe makes 6-8 pinwheels.
- 2 large tortillas (look for “burrito size”)
- 4 large leaves of lettuce, your choice – we used Romaine
- 10-12 slices of deli ham (equates to a small package, 9 oz)
- 8 slices of cheese
- 4 tablespoons of cream cheese*
- toothpicks or kid-friendly, adorable food picks (my daughter LOVES these)
Recipe Variations: Mix up the cream cheese flavors. This is really good with chive and onion and garden vegetable.
How to Assemble
This is the perfect recipe to get the kids in the kitchen! Their little hands will need help rolling, but the rest can be done by them with minimal supervision.
- Lay the tortillas flat and spread about 2 tablespoons of cream cheese on each.
- Next, layer the ham onto the tortillas.
- On top of the ham, add lettuce.
- The last ingredient, add on the 4 slices of cheese to each tortilla.
- Roll the tortillas tightly and slice into 2-inch sections.
- Use a toothpick or reusable food picks to secure each wheel.
You can serve these immediately or store in the refrigerator. Because of the cream cheese, pack the school lunch with a cool pack.
Over to You
What are your favorite school lunch ideas? Share them below. And be sure to check our pizza pinwheels – also a HUGE hit with everyone!
Please Share This on Facebook or Pinterest