This adorable gnome hat was is one of the cutest things I’ve made my daughter when we put together the garden gnome costume. It’s a great DIY using basic craft supplies like felt and craft fur and doesn’t even require a sewing machine to put together!
This little gnome makes for a great Halloween costume or a pretend play session. Hand the kids the leftover felt scraps and they can make mushrooms, flowers, butterflies, and more.
Gnome Hat for Kids
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, I have a
little lot of love for all the little DIY gnomes in our home. But, none more deeply than for the little gnome who calls me “mom.”
Yesterday, we made some fun gnome Rice Krispies treats for a dessert after a rainy playdate. When we started chatting about Halloween, this adorable gnome hat pattern was born and then I couldn’t stop… I also made the easiest no-sew gnome costume ever to go along with it.
No Time to Make This Now? Save or Share for Later
Need to gather supplies? Save this to a DIY costume pin board or share it on Facebook. It will make it easier to find when you’re ready to begin.
As an Amazon Associate, I could earn from qualifying purchases. There could be affiliate links within this article.
Tips to Make this Gnome Hat Pattern
- Large buttons add to the whimsy of this DIY gnome hat. Don’t use the ones you have in your sewing kit you’d put on real clothes. Get big, big ones; absurdly large buttons from thrift stores are great.
- For a tattered and worn garden gnome hat or costume, add some felt patches to the hat – just glue them on.
- This gnome hat pattern is not one-size-fits-all. If your child’s head is bigger than 20 or 21-inches around, you need to size up. If your child’s head is smaller than 18 to 19-inches around, size down. You can make it larger than what I share here and add elastic into the hat base for an adjustable hat.
- If you want to change up the red felt for another color, most of the primary colors are available on the felt bolts at the craft store.
- If you are interested in making the little shirt for the garden gnome costume, buy the felt at the same time.
How to Make this DIY Gnome Hat for Kids
Below is the written and printable tutorial. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comments section. Remember – the decorations are just a suggestion and I would love to see how you or the little ones decorate theirs.
More DIY Gnome Crafts and Ideas You Might Like
- DIY Gnome Costume for Kids – Once you’ve figured out how to make a gnome hat, there’s no reason not to take it all the way to the bank and just go ahead and outfit the kid from head-to-toe in gnomish.
- Gnome Rice Krispies Treats – Remember that garden gnome party you weren’t planning but now you’re throwing for your adorably-decked-out-gnome? You’re going to need snacks.
- Gnome Paper Plate Craft – Let the littles ones get creative on a rainy day with this easy to set up craft.
- Garden Gnome Costume for Kids – Kimberly outdid herself with this adorable jacket she made for her son using a t-shirt.
Please Save or Share This
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this quick and easy DIY? Please save it to your favorite costume pin board or share it on Facebook.