We made this gnome costume and had such a great time with it the pictures were all blurry because the little one was running around with glee. Everyone was having such a great time and that makes this quick and easy no-sew gnome costume a win.
Making homemade costumes or dress up for pretend play sessions should not be a chore. Using felt, a hot glue gun, and some craft store staples like fur and fill, you can make this adorable costume in less than thirty minutes.
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, I am a huge proponent of pretend play and dress up – my popular tutorials for DIY Halloween costumes and dress-up aprons show that so many others are, as well.
We got caught in the rain the other day (go figure, it IS Seattle), and whipped up some fun gnome Rice Krispies treats with my daughter. After talking about Halloween, we came up with a quick, no-sew garden gnome costume idea and just had to make it.
No Time to Make This Now? Save or Share It for Later
If you need to run the craft store or check your stash, be sure to save this to your favorite costume pin board or share it to Facebook. It will be easy to find and here when you’re ready to start.
As an Amazon Associate, I could earn from qualifying purchases. There could be affiliate links within this article.
Tips to Make this Gnome Costume Pattern
- Measure your little one before you start. This gnome costume pattern has no “give” to it because there’s no elastic and the red felt. If you want to adjust the fabric from felt to fleece, everything will still work.
- For pictures, have the kids take off their shoes and go barefoot. It was really, really cold here when we snapped these shots and watching our little DIY garden gnome run around was hilarious.
- The only part of actual sewing in this no-sew gnome costume is stitching on the pocket and to hold the button on. And honestly, that’s only because I had put away the glue gun so you can use that.
- If you would like to line the back of the fur fabric of the gnome beard with a knit or something softer, just glue it on with the hot glue gun.
- Once you have this made, make the gnome hat pattern for kids with these instructions.
How Do I Make a Gnome Costume?
Below is the written tutorial and if you have any questions, please ask them in the comments. I’d love for you to make this because the kids will love it and the fur is just so much for them.
More Gnome Crafts and Ideas You Might Like
- Gnome Hat for Kids – With a gnome costume, you NEED a gnome hat. This one is easy and adorable.
- Everything You Need to Know About Making Gnomes – If gnome-making is in your future, or you’re just gnome-curious, this is the one-stop-shop for all your potential gnome craft enjoyment.
- Gnome Rice Krispies Treats – Remember that garden gnome party you weren’t planning but now you’re throwing for your adorably-decked-out-gnome? You’re going to need snacks.
Please Share or Save This
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it to a crafty Facebook group or save it to your favorite costumes pin board.