This easy marshmallow buttercream frosting is perfect for you if you’re looking for a hint of sweet without a strong vanilla flavor. This recipe is one you will use over and over again.
I’m sure you don’t want to be tied to the kitchen making a dozen cupcakes and homemade frosting because I don’t want to be… This recipe comes together nice and even stays in the fridge ready for you for 2 days.
RELATED READING: Easy Marscapone Frosting Recipe (Give It a Try)
What You'll Find On This Page
Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are all about baking. Heck, we have made so many delectable recipes over the years, that we have a tough time choosing favorites. We love to share those recipes with you in order to save you time and money.
Get Cupcake Recipes, Freebies, and More!
Do you love the taste of bakery-made frosting but hate the price? Well, we are going to share a special recipe with you that will save you a ton of money. And did we mention how incredible it tastes? Yum!
If you need time to grab your ingredients, bookmark this page to make it easier when you are ready to make your frosting.
As an Amazon Associate, I could earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within this article.
Why This Marshmallow Buttercream Recipe Is Perfect
This is a flavor you don’t often find in the local grocery store or even your favorite bakery. We use this versatile and unique handmade frosting on our easy chocolate cupcake recipe. Add a piece of graham cracker as a garnish and you have a gorgeous S’Mores flavor profile.
It is super easy to make, using just 4 simple ingredients. We can whip up this frosting recipe in less than 10 minutes. It also stores in the fridge for 2-3 days if you want to make it ahead of time.
It is less expensive to make rather than buy in the store if you can even find it. We have found that making homemade frosting will cost pennies on the dollar compared to store-bought.
RELATED READING: Delicious, Deep Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Recipe
Tips For Making Marshmallow Frosting
- When working with marshmallow fluff already opened, let it warm to room temperature. If the fluff is chilled, it will be difficult to incorporate.
- You can make your own marshmallow fluff at home. Melt down 2 cups of mini marshmallows and add 1/4 cup of light corn syrup. Mix until smooth and bring to room temperature before using.
- In a pinch, I have used a marshmallow extract with my traditional buttercream recipe. This gives you the flavor of the marshmallow without using the fluff.
- Because the buttercream frosting and the marshmallow fluff can be very sweet, you may want to add a pinch of salt to even out the flavor.
Ingredients For Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
Below are the ingredients we used for our marshmallow frosting. Before you head out to the store for what you need, be sure to check the fridge and pantry to see what you have on hand. Read the tips section above for information on how to treat the marshmallow fluff in the recipe.
- Marshmallow Fluff softened to room temperature
- Unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- Powdered sugar
- Pure vanilla extract
- Already baked vanilla cupcakes (the Internet’s FAVORITE vanilla cupcake recipe)
How To Make Marshmallow Frosting
Each step for this recipe is detailed below to make it easier for you. Keep this page open while you make your easy marshmallow buttercream frosting. If you would rather have a printable recipe, scroll down and select the print button.
Using a stand mixer, place the butter, marshmallow fluff, and vanilla into the bowl.
Using a paddle attachment, beat for about 2 minutes or until light in color and fluffy.
Gradually add in the powdered sugar until combined. Continue to beat on medium to low speed for about 2 minutes.
Once your frosting is the consistency you want, spoon the frosting into a piping bag and one at a time, take the frosting bag and begin to frost your cupcakes. You can read my tips on frosting cupcakes here.
Notes For Making Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting
- When adding in the powdered sugar, be sure to alternate between it and the liquid, if you are using any. This helps give you a smoother frosting.
- If you have trouble getting the sticky marshmallow fluff out of the container, take off the lid and the seal and put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
- There are usually two different powdered sugars sold in the store. You can get 10x which is the most finely ground or 5x which is typically used as a garnish. You want to use the finer ground powdered sugar for your frosting.
- Even if you use the finest ground powdered sugar, you should still sift it. This will get rid of ANY lumps you may have in the confectioner’s sugar and you will have the smoothest frosting ever!
More Cupcake And Frosting Recipes You May Like
- Easy Buttercream Frosting Recipe: This easy and delicious buttercream frosting only takes a few minutes and uses just 4 ingredients.
- Yummy Butterbeer Frosting Board Recipe: If you are a Potterhead, you know what Butterbeer is and this take on a viral trend is wow-worthy!
- Snickerdoodle Cupcake Recipe: The easy-to-make cinnamon frosting is the perfect topping for this delicious dessert. This recipe is one of our fall favorites.
Please Save or Share This Light and Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting
Your shares are how this site grows and I sincerely appreciate it. Please save this recipe to your favorite dessert or frosting pin board or share it on Facebook.