My kiddo never ceases to inspire. This weekend it was a desire for donut Minnie cupcakes to have a fun afternoon treat and so we got out the fondant and got to work!
Donut Minnie Cupcakes
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we are learning to use kitchen-time as a bonding opportunity with the kiddo. And, as of late, the kiddo is REALLY into the idea of coming up with her own ideas that we turn into reality. So, when she drew up a fun Minnie cupcake with donut ears, well, we had to make it a reality.
These donut cupcakes are so darling, the sprinkles, the bow, the donut – just everything. If you’re ready to make a cupcake that’s truly inspired, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite easy cupcake recipes board on Pinterest and it’ll be here when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Love cupcakes and want free recipes?
If you use gMail or Yahoo, please check the spam or "promotional" folders. Whitelist my email address or reply to the email to ensure delivery of all files. Happy Holidays! - Sarah
Tips to Make Donut Cupcakes
- I like to stick with the “known” when it comes to making cupcakes. So, I turn to my Lazy Girl Cupcakes recipe. Simple and fun to make, this is a no-fail cupcake that can be relied on for the best crumb every time. No need to get twisted, though – if you prefer a boxed cupcake, do it!
- My number one tip has quickly become: Don’t overfill your cupcake tins. I wouldn’t say anything if you weren’t planning to make Minnie ears that stick out from the cupcake’s icing. The deal is, the cupcake needs a fairly flat surface on the top so you can balance those ears. Very important not to have a big ‘ole mound of cupcake right there in the way.
- I love a good buttercream frosting – and that’s what I’ve included in this recipe. But if you prefer canned frosting, you do you. There’s no reason not to make these cupcakes your very favorite. So, if cream cheese frosting is your thing, do it. If you like that whipped cream icing that they make on cupcakes in the stores – have at it. Enjoy your cupcake. It’s your time.
How Do I Make this Donut Minnie Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 Vanilla Cupcakes
Fondant Ears and bow
- 1 package of ivory fondant
- 1 package red fondant
- Pink cookie icing
- Mickey Mouse Sprinkles
- Red, white and black nonpareils sprinkles
- 1 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 4 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 5-7 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- Dust a cutting board with powdered sugar and roll out the ivory fondant to about 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out 24 3-inch circles to make the donut ears. Cut out the center of the donut ear shapes using a 1-inch circle cutter.
- Place the pink cookie icing into a piping bag then decorate the fondant donut ears with the pink icing and a mixture of the sprinkles. Allow the donut ears to dry on the counter overnight.
- Dust your hands using powder sugar and work the red fondant into a ball before pinching off 12 teaspoon sized portions of the fondant. Press each of the teaspoon sized portions of red fondant into a small bow mold and remove. Allow the bows to dry on the counter overnight.
- Bake your cupcakes per the directions on your favorite recipe, then remove them from the oven and allow them to cool completely before decorating.
- With a stand mixer, cream together the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla until creamy and smooth.
- Place about 1 cup of the icing into a piping bag and set aside.
- With an ice cream scoop, place a scoop of frosting on top of each cupcake then smooth it into a thick, flat layer with a knife.
- Place the mixture of remaining sprinkles into a bowl and dip each cupcake into the sprinkles to coat the frosting on top of each cupcake with the sprinkles.
- Pipe an additional large dollop of frosting into the center of each cupcake.
- Place one of the fondant bows in the center of each frosted cupcake, followed by placing two of the donut ears on either side of the bow, then enjoy!
For more fun Minnie cupcake recipes, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 863Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 167mgSodium: 412mgCarbohydrates: 96gFiber: 0gSugar: 83gProtein: 4g
All nutrition information is estimated. For accuracy, please calculate your exact brands and ingredients if accuracy is desired.
More Minnie Mouse Cupcakes You Might Like
- Nightmare Before Christmas Minnie Cupcakes – Ridiculously cute, these are great halloween cupcakes or creepy-Christmas cupcakes, if that’s your thing! LOL!
- Christmas Minnie Cupcakes – Speaking of Christmas, these fun buffalo check cupcakes are absolutely gorgeous and simple to boot!
- Day of the Dead Minnie Cupcakes – I can’t tell you how STUNNING these cupcakes are in person – definitely worth a peek if nothing else!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite party cupcakes board on Pinterest.