Everything about these buffalo check Minnie cupcakes makes me happy. The red swirly icing, the buffalo check and the holly–these easy Christmas cupcakes are beautiful!
Buffalo Check Minnie Cupcakes
Here at Ruffles and Rain Boots, we love the magic of the Christmas season. The smells, the sounds and the amazing tasting Christmas treats are pretty much something I look forward to all year long. Christmas is just my thing. So, of course, when I decided I was going to make a bajillionty Christmas cupcakes this year, I had to try out something new I’d heard of.
And, let me just say that “WOW!” making buffalo check cupcakes turns out to be so easy and fun, this will not be the last time you see it. If you’re ready to make some easy Minnie Mouse Christmas cupcakes, let’s get started.
No Time to Make This Now? Pin it for Later
You’re busy, I get it. Pin this to your favorite Christmas desserts board on Pinterest and it’ll be here for when you’re ready.
As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips to Make Christmas Cupcakes
- Start with your favorite vanilla cupcake. I like to use my Lazy Girl cupcake recipe. It’s no-fail fluffy-and-light-cupcakes anyone can make, as long as you follow the directions. To make them chocolate, I just added 1/2 cup of melted chocolate chips. Easy peasy.
- Make the actual cupcakes and fondant pieces the day before. This is an easy cupcake to put together, but the fondant will hold up better if you let it dry on the counter overnight.
- I adore the way that this frosting looks. It’s just a super simple technique where you put the two colors of icing into the same piping bag. So cool.
- To make the buffalo check design on the Minnie ears, it’s just a quick little spritz with food coloring spray using a stencil I found. You can make a stencil yourself, but the one I found (that you can click here to get) is so reasonable and already made, it’s hardly even worth making your own, especially if you might be making these kinds of cupcakes more than just one time.
How Do I Make Buffalo Check Minnie Cupcakes?
I’m so glad you asked. Below is our written tutorial.
- 12 of your favorite chocolate cupcakes - I used my Lazy Girl Cupcakes and just added some melted chocolate chips to the batter
Fondant Ears and Bows
- 1 package of black fondant
- 1 package of red fondant
- Powdered sugar for dusting the cutting surface
- 3 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 5-7 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Red gel food coloring
- Christmas Holly Sprinkles
- Make your cupcakes and allow them to cool fully before attempting to decorate.
- Sprinkle a small portion of powder sugar onto a cutting board or sheet of parchment paper.
- Roll out the red fondant into 1/4 inch thickness and cut out 24 circles for the Minnie ears.
- Remove the excess red fondant from around the ear shapes.
- To make the bows, break off 1 teaspoon sized portion of fondant and press it into the bow mold. Then remove the bow and trim as desired.
- Make 12 bows and allow both the ears and bows to dry overnight.
- To make the frosting, combine butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream and vanilla until smooth.
- Separate the frosting in two bowls.
- Whip in a few drops of red food coloring into one portion of the frosting.
- Place the red frosting onto one side of your piping bag and white frosting onto the other side. Set aside.
- Place two round red ear shapes onto a paper towel.
- Place the buffalo check stencil on top of the fondant circles.
- Lightly spray the black color spray over the ears.
- Carefully lift up the stencil and rotate it 90-degrees.
- Spray the stencil again with the black color spray.
- Carefully remove the stencil from the fondant and allow the fondant to dry (about 10 minutes).
- Frost each of the cooled cupcakes with the frosting in a big swirl.
- Press two ears into the sides of the frosting.
- Set a bow into the top center of the frosting.
- Place two holly leaf sprinkles and 3 red bead sprinkles for the holly berries on one side.
You will also need:
1 fondant bow mold
1 mini circle cutter
Color spray Black
Gingham plaid cookie stencil
1 large piping bag with large star tip
For more fun Christmas cupcake recipes, visit Ruffles and Rain Boots!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 912 Total Fat: 66g Saturated Fat: 41g Trans Fat: 3g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 174mg Sodium: 423mg Carbohydrates: 83g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 80g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g
Would you like inspiration delivered right to you each week? Sign up for the once-weekly Ruffles and Rain Boots newsletter and you’ll get that and more! Get access to the exclusive libraries full of free SVGs, hand lettering practice, and so much more.
More Christmas Cupcakes You Might Like
- Christmas Lights Cupcakes – Want a cupcake you can decorate in about 5 minutes–for all the cupcakes? That’s this easy Christmas cupcake decorating idea.
- Santa Hat Cupcakes – You don’t get more iconically Christmas than these easy cupcakes with a Santa hat on them.
- Snowman Cupcakes – Personally, these might be my favorite holiday cupcakes of all time. Just all the pink–the green, the gold and the snowman!
Please Save This to Pinterest
Your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. Know a friend who’d like this? Please share it on Facebook or save it to your favorite cupcake decorating ideas board on Pinterest.